Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by Rakesh Thakoordyal <ra...@rogers.com> on 2013/01/26 13:41:34 UTC

Documentation opportunities

Hello,

I recently subscribed to this list and was wondering what I could do to get involved in the documentation side of Apache. I've seen a lot of activity on the dev mailing list but not much on the doc list.

Is there any Apache-specific preparation I should be doing before getting started with projects?  Also, how do I get involved in a project?

Thank You,

Rakesh T.

Re: Documentation opportunities

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.
Am 26.01.2013 23:08, Guy Waterval wrote:
> I'm sorry to have disturbed you with my post.

I had something disturbing, indeed.

>> AOO documentation won't fly if we do not even manage to update the
>> existing 3.3 documentation for version 3.4 (regex anyone?).
>>
> OK, but we have a licence issue. We should adopt an Apache license to avoid
> to push this license issue always before us.

And what are the implications of those "licence issues"? Rewriting what
has been written already?

>> For writing any part of the documentation it is mandatory that you know
>> the respective part of the program as well as a developer does and that
>> you have a sound overview over the whole suite (including some glitches
>> and current bugs).
>>
> +1
> You seem to have a great experience in the documentation area, and this
> will be very helpful for us. So, many thanks to have subscribed to this
> list.

No, not that great experience since I'm not a native English speaker nor
do I care about "licence issues". I love to write hands-on tutorials as
well as I can right "into the internet".
You find some explicit Base/Calc/Python/Basic related tutorials and code
snippets in the tutorial section of forum.openoffice.org.

>> btw: LibreOffice documentation is a big <face palm> because everybody
>> puts his/her own misconceptions into the docs. Why not? Some of the
>> developers do the same with their software.
>>
> That's your opinion, but as you are an activ member of the LibO project,
> you should perhaps change the things with a constructive attitude.

I removed LibreOffice from all our productive machines, leaving my
Ubuntu copy for testing and a working with a different profile.

> BTW, could we have a link pointing to one of your works in the
> documentation area? It's always interesting to can see documents produced
> by experimented writers.
>
> A+

Yes, Sir. Here you are:
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=Villeroy&fid[]=74&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=a&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Plus hundreds of ad-hoc tutorials in the user support sections.

Re: Documentation opportunities

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hallo Andreas,

--
gw

Re: Documentation opportunities

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.
Am 27.01.2013 06:59, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

> On 01/26/2013 01:11 PM, Andreas Säger wrote:
>>
>> btw: LibreOffice documentation is a big <face palm> because everybody
>> puts his/her own misconceptions into the docs. Why not? Some of the
>> developers do the same with their software.
> That is why they hope to have peer review of the documentation so that
> it can then be corrected / fixed over time.

Those morons did not even understand my bug reports and canceled them
alltogether.

Re: Documentation opportunities

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/26/2013 01:11 PM, Andreas Säger wrote:

> btw: LibreOffice documentation is a big <face palm> because everybody
> puts his/her own misconceptions into the docs. Why not? Some of the
> developers do the same with their software.
That is why they hope to have peer review of the documentation so that
it can then be corrected / fixed over time.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: Documentation opportunities