Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> on 2005/05/25 05:18:17 UTC

[lang] checkstyle report

Hi,

I've checked
http://people.apache.org/~stevencaswell/commons-lang-2.1/docs/checkstyle-report.html
and there is a massive number of checkstyle errors reported.

I suggest you either fix them or turn off the checkstyle checks you
don't want. Fixing the problem is probably better.

By the way, I've struck a checkstyle problem when using it in the
digester site. Despite project.properties having

   maven.checkstyle.properties=${basedir}/checkstyle.xml

it doesn't look to me like the specified checkstyle.xml file is actually
being used. I can even change the contents to invalid xml and no error
is reported.

Lang has exactly the same setup for checkstyle reports. Does the
checkstyle.xml file have any effect in lang?

Regards,

Simon

Re: [lang] checkstyle report

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 23:59 +0200, Fredrik Westermarck wrote:
> <off-topic>
> While on the subject of svn; is there a repository (at apache) where one
> can test svn without causing a mess? :-P
> </off-topic>

Not a publicly accessable one. But it is trivial to set up a local
repository on your own machine for testing.

On a linux machine:
   svnadmin create /tmp/my-test-repo

   svn co file:///tmp/my-test-repo  my-local-stuff
   cd my-local-stuff
   # svn add, move, delete, etc

If you're a windows user the process should be very similar.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [lang] checkstyle report

Posted by Fredrik Westermarck <fr...@mdh.se>.
Steven Caswell wrote:
> I propose that for the upcoming lang 2.1 release we leave the errors unfixed
> and leave the checkstyle report as is.
>
> 1. Leave them unfixed because the errors are all documentation-related, and
> while it is important to fix them, I don't believe the problems are
> detrimental to the product. It has taken long enough to get the release out
> (and I take some of the blame for the slowness) and I don't believe it is
> worth delaying longer to make what I consider marginally useful fixes.
> Unless someone gets to them before the final RC.

I would like to have a go at them but since I don't feel too confident
about my svn skills it's probably better to learn svn before I start
committing again. :-)

<off-topic>
While on the subject of svn; is there a repository (at apache) where one
can test svn without causing a mess? :-P
</off-topic>

> 2. Leave the checkstyle report as is because the problems should be fixed,
> and I'm worried that if we hide them for this release then they'll be
> forgotten. I'd rather take the time after the release to either fix them or
> hide them after appropriate discussion, which I believe should also not hold
> up the release.
>
> Thoughts?

I agree with your proposal to wait until after a release to decide on
how to resolve the issues. After all the number of checkstyle issues
have decreased in 2.1-RC6, when comparing it to the 2.0 release.

Regards,
Fredrik Westermarck

Re: [lang] checkstyle report

Posted by Steven Caswell <st...@gmail.com>.

On 5/24/05, Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've checked
>
> http://people.apache.org/~stevencaswell/commons-lang-2.1/docs/checkstyle-report.html
> and there is a massive number of checkstyle errors reported.
>
> I suggest you either fix them or turn off the checkstyle checks you
> don't want. Fixing the problem is probably better.
>

> By the way, I've struck a checkstyle problem when using it in the
> digester site. Despite project.properties having
>
> maven.checkstyle.properties=${basedir}/checkstyle.xml
>
> it doesn't look to me like the specified checkstyle.xml file is actually
> being used. I can even change the contents to invalid xml and no error
> is reported.
>
> Lang has exactly the same setup for checkstyle reports. Does the
> checkstyle.xml file have any effect in lang?
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

Steven Caswell
steven.caswell@gmail.com

Take back the web - http://www.mozilla.org

Re: [lang] checkstyle report

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
I believe that is the OperatorWrap check, in the Whitespace group of checks.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: [lang] checkstyle report

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 5/24/05, Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 15:18 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > By the way, I've struck a checkstyle problem when using it in the
> > digester site. Despite project.properties having
> >
> >    maven.checkstyle.properties=${basedir}/checkstyle.xml
> >
> > it doesn't look to me like the specified checkstyle.xml file is actually
> > being used. I can even change the contents to invalid xml and no error
> > is reported.
>
> Ok, yes it is. For some reason I needed to do a "maven clean" before the
> updated checkstyle.xml got applied.
>
> So now I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the check for this:
>    '+' should be on the previous line
>
> Any ideas?

You want OperatorWrap. See:

http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_whitespace.html#OperatorWrap

--
Martin Cooper

Re: [lang] checkstyle report

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 00:30 -0400, Phil Steitz wrote:
> If you are talking about the digester checkstyle.xml, the culprit is this:
>
> <module name="OperatorWrap">
>       <property name="option" value="eol"/>
> </module>
>
> See
> http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_whitespace.html#OperatorWrap
>
> I think "nl" forces the opposite behaviour,  dropping the check
> eliminates the problem altogether :-)

Thanks Phil & Frank!

All resolved now...

Regards,