Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Zsolt Koppany <zk...@intland.com> on 2001/03/01 15:59:15 UTC

Too many open files with Tomcat-3.2.1 under Solaris

Hi,

I just want to port our tomcat application to Solaris-2.7 and after a
short time I get the error message "Too many open files" from
java.net.SocketException.

The same applications does not have the problem under Linux.

I'm pretty sure that not our application causes the problem.

I use j2sdk1_3_0_02 under Solaris.

Any ideas?

--
Zsolt Koppany
Intland GmbH www.intland.com

Re: Too many open files with Tomcat-3.2.1 under Solaris

Posted by Ben Flaumenhaft <be...@sidelight.com>.
Hi Zsolt,

Most UNIX systems need one file descriptor per open socket. That error
message almost always means you don't have enough file descriptors. In
Linux, at least the last time I checked, you need to recompile the kernel to
change the number of file descriptors allocated by the system. Under
Solaris, you can change it in /etc/system.

See:

http://www.rational.com/technotes/clearcase_html/ClearCase_html/technote_344
.html

I'd recommend bumping it to 1024 and see if your problem goes away.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ben Flaumenhaft
Principal, Sidelight Consulting
http://www.sidelight.com

Posted by David Crooke <da...@convio.com>.
netstat is a useful tool for tracing this - I'll bet you'll see a whole
batch of connections stacking up on your internal port between Apache
and Tomcat

Are you doing a close() on the PrintWriters going out from the
appserver? If not, the JVM may be too slow at closing them behind you.