Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Simone Pierazzini <s....@metaware.it> on 2004/07/26 12:39:13 UTC

[collections]

hi all,
I looked for a Java quad-tree implementation but I didn't find any free (ie.
open source) or compatible with the JDK Collections Framework.
So I decided to develop one myself.
I've developed a Map extension: this Map is a specialized version whose keys
are Point (java.awt.Point). Basically it is a standard Map that contains an
extra method to retrieve all entries contained in a Rectangle passed as a
parameter to the method:
The Syntax for the new Method is:

  Iterator get (Rectangle r);

I've developed a quad-tree based implementation, and a junit test case (not
completed yet).
My question is: are you interested in including these classes in
commons-collections?

thanks,
Simone Pierazzini

Re: [collections] Point based map

Posted by Simone Pierazzini <s....@metaware.it>.
On Monday 26 July 2004 20:26, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Unfortunately this implementation would be unsuitable for [collections],
> primarily on the grounds of it being very specific to the Point and
> Rectangle classes.

Yes, I understand. I think that quadtree algorithm itself would be useful and
generic. Indeed, it is not restricted to graphic applications only, but it is
used also in simulations.
Maybe I could use my own interfaces instead of Point/Rectangle (or even a
generic Shape instead of Rectangle).

Do you have any ideas to modify my work so that it could be useful for you?

bye

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Unfortunately this implementation would be unsuitable for [collections],
primarily on the grounds of it being very specific to the Point and
Rectangle classes.

Stephen