Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by József Németh <jo...@cpluscsystems.axelero.net> on 2007/02/19 20:40:09 UTC

Re: [SPAM] font-family="Arial Unicode MS" in rtf doesn't work

>But at the same time, the spec does say it SHOULD be quoted, so you
>should quote it.

Excuse the buttler butting in but what the spec says is: "Font family names
containing whitespace should be quoted. If quoting is omitted, any
whitespace characters before and after the font name are ignored and any
sequence of whitespace characters inside the font name is converted to a
single space." To me it means that even if not quoted font-family="Arial
Unicode MS" still ferers to a single font not to the sequece Arial, Unicode,
MS.

JN

Re: [SPAM] font-family="Arial Unicode MS" in rtf doesn't work

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
József Németh wrote:

<snip/>

> Andreas,
>
> I don't doubt that you, the FOP developers, are a group of good software
> professionals and a bunch of nice peaple. But the way you handle FOP as a
> product development project and relate to the user's of FOP is downright
> amateurish. And for me irritating, too.

I know its easy to get the wrong end of the stick over e-mail, but the
above statement is unfair. Yes, the approach may well be amateurish. But
that is because the development team are not paid. The definition of a
professional is someone who is paid for their work. So when they are not
paid IMO you have:

a) no right to expect a professional service
b) no right to complain about the level of service.

This is open source. If you don't like the way something is done. Fix it
yourself.

Chris

<snip/>

Re: [SPAM] font-family="Arial Unicode MS" in rtf doesn't work

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Feb 20, 2007, at 22:16, József Németh wrote:

Hey Joe,

Let me start off by saying that I was very tempted to let your
posting pass and not give you any more attention, but I just couldn't
help myself, so here we go...

> I don't doubt that you, the FOP developers, are a group of good
> software
> professionals and a bunch of nice peaple. But the way you handle
> FOP as a
> product development project and relate to the user's of FOP is
> downright
> amateurish. And for me irritating, too.

Apologies if it irritates you. That is certainly the opposite of what
is intended.
Yes, the style may be 'downright amateurish', as you call it, because
Open Source --as I understand it-- is not governed by the same laws
as your everyday professional commercial software development
company. There is no such thing as a 'strict deadline' here. No
contracts, no customers...
Keep in mind that all FOP devs started out where you are right now: a
FOP user. We too saw features missing, and tried to help out where we
could, up to the point of diving into the code and implementing them
ourselves.

> Let me take your answer:
>
> I wonder, how should I have known about the fix.

It would have sufficed to read the first line of the message you got
from Bugzilla, although I do realize now I forgot to paste the link
to the revision that fixed the bug. Sorry.

> I specifically looked at the answers to my error report before I
> sent my reply and had not found any
> indication of it there.
>
> As a user I am equiped with the necessary environment to keep the
> softwares
> I am routinely using current. In this case using toroiseSVN I have
> checked
> out the complete FOP trunk just to find that, just as you suggest,
> if I want
> to use it I should build it myself. I didn't. (To state it slightly
> I wasn't
> in the right mood.) [In fact I had already installed a different
> workaround
> before I submitted the bug report.]

OK, so that means that you can easily synchronize the fop.jar in your
project with a scheduled Subversion checkout, followed by a build and
deployment... What are you complaining about?

> On the FOP Download page I found this:
>
> "Fixme (jeremias)
> Reenable the link to the SVN snapshots once they are available."
>
> Now, what the heck it's supposed to mean?!. Can you tell me a valid
> reason
> why there are no daily (or at least weekly) snapshot builds of the
> trunk
> available at least on the main FOP server?

Because someone needs to allocate time to set that up, and the demand
is not nearly high enough to make this a pressing matter. I follow
both fop-dev@ and fop-users@ almost on a daily basis, and I can't
even remember how long ago it was that someone asked for these
nightly builds. Probably those that thought they needed it, finally
came upon a brilliant idea: "Why don't I do the build myself, and
synchronize my local sandbox with the repository?"

As I indicated, this is Open Source. We are not professionals when we
are here. We all monitor this list, respond to postings (even when
they're strictly speaking off-topic), take a shot at fixing long-
standing but annoying bugs...
Why? All /because we like to/
Whether, if or when new features get implemented, bugs fixed,
releases done... this all depends on small human factors, such as a
fop-dev working for a customer: if that customer absolutely needs
features implemented, there you will suddenly see some things
improved in a short time.

> Anyway, why should I be at the bleeding edge with FOP Trunk if I
> only need a
> small, safe and fully tested fix in the 0.93 branch that I can
> easily update
> if there is a new build available.

Indeed, why should you even have a complete build? If you could
download only the altered class, and replace that in your fop.jar...
Again, schedule an 'svn up' of your local sandbox, rebuild and
deploy. Why waste Apache's bandwidth on downloading much larger
precompiled binaries?

> And finally knowing the history of FOP your mentioning of a new
> release is
> not too promising either.
>
> Please, do no take all this as an offence I have not meant it to be.

Undoubtedly. You were just having a bit of fun, weren't you? ;P

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: [SPAM] font-family="Arial Unicode MS" in rtf doesn't work

Posted by József Németh <jo...@cpluscsystems.axelero.net>.

Anderas, Chris,

Well Gentlemen, why should I say? Maybe this.

What I have said was not unfair not even impolite, maybe a little coarse and
certainly true. The fact is that I had been acting on the false assumption
that the goal of the FOP project was to develop a product. Now from what you
say I know that yours is a hobbyist project that probably would never yield
a product. It is not to say that it is not interesting, not complex or not
valuable. Just that one should not wait for a product that you start and
there you go. What is not fair is that this is not evident from the FOP
site! On the contrary ...

Also, you both are grossly mistaken in your view on Open Source. It is not a
do-it-yourself movement. If you take the trouble you will find ample
material in the Internet on the philosophy and driving considerations behind
it.

I got your take-it-or-leave-it message. Bye-bye FOP, I am leaving. No
offence taken,  simply does not worth the effort.

Bye

JN

Re: [SPAM] font-family="Arial Unicode MS" in rtf doesn't work

Posted by József Németh <jo...@cpluscsystems.axelero.net>.

>Yes, we did! :)
>It was fixed in FOP /Trunk/ (= fix will be in the next release)
>0.93 won't be patched, that much is true...

>If you really, really need this feature, then you're welcome to
>checkout the source w/ Subversion and build-it-yourself.

>Later,

>Andreas

Andreas,

I don't doubt that you, the FOP developers, are a group of good software
professionals and a bunch of nice peaple. But the way you handle FOP as a
product development project and relate to the user's of FOP is downright
amateurish. And for me irritating, too.

Let me take your answer:

I wonder, how should I have known about the fix. I specifically looked a the
[...]

Joe

Re: [SPAM] font-family="Arial Unicode MS" in rtf doesn't work

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by József Németh <jo...@cpluscsystems.axelero.net>.
No, they didn't! My error report was cosed with the remark that in FOP the
workaround is quoting. Yeah, but that's not the answer I would expect (ord
accept) for such a (technically) minor bug.

JN

You're right, but didn't someone say very recently that they had a fix
for this bug?

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd

Re: [SPAM] font-family="Arial Unicode MS" in rtf doesn't work

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.