Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com> on 2012/06/27 03:35:49 UTC

high-percentile latency metrics, aka HBASE-6261

Hi all,

I'm looking into some better ways of estimating high-percentile latency,
since I don't think the existing sampling-based method does a good job. I
wrote up a document and put it on HBASE-6261 that outlines what I think are
the available options; I'd encourage any resident stats experts / people
interested in metrics to take a look.

I wanted to ask off JIRA though about what would be useful in practice. I
think it'd be nice to see, for example, accurate 90th and 99th percentile
latency over recent 10s, 1m, 5m, and 15m time windows. I found some nice
algos to do this, I think at the cost of MBs of memory.

If this sounds like overkill though, there are even cheaper algos that
provide a more qualitative feeling of how the latency distribution is
changing over time. You give up one or more of bounded error, exact
percentiles, or time-based windows, but you do get the general feeling of
up vs. down.

So, is the "full" solution compelling enough to proceed? Anything
missing/extraneous?

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: high-percentile latency metrics, aka HBASE-6261

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:53 AM, Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I put this on the jira too, but the algo I found whittled down a stream of
> 10 million items down to ~19.5k samples. With each sample at ~36B, that's
> ~685KiB. There's a bit more from using a LinkedList and general bookkeeping.
>
> Since the estimator is reset every O(minutes) window, and I doubt very many
> metrics see more than 10 million items in O(minutes), it seems lightweight
> enough to keep going.
>
> I'm planning on doing this in hadoop-common's metrics2 since HDFS is also
> interested, backporting to 1.x and 2.x. This would thus depend on the
> metrics2 conversion (HBASE-4050) going through too.

Sounds great Andrew.
St.Ack

Re: high-percentile latency metrics, aka HBASE-6261

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.