Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeffrey Vaughan <va...@seas.upenn.edu> on 2005/11/22 19:24:22 UTC

Mysterious Commit Failures (os x 10.4 / svn 1.1.4 fink / svn 1.2.3 darwinports)

Hi,

I'm using a subversion repository and get the following error message on
commits:

jeff@echo XXXX $ svn commit
vaughan2@XXXXXXXXX.XXXXX.upenn.edu's password:
Sending        XXXXXXXXX/report.tex
Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't open directory
'/mnt/XXX/XXX/svnroot/XXX/db/transactions/90?\194?\136?\195?\150
                                                    ?\194?\128': No such
file or directory
svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
svn:    '/Users/jeff/Code/XXXXXXX/writing/papers/svn-commit.4.tmp'

Commit emails are not sent to myself or other users and my working copy
remains at the previous version.  However, the repository is updated,
and my commit message appears in the log.

Setting $LANG=en_US.utf-8 or $LANG=us_US has not helped me.  I access
the repository using svn+ssh.  I was able to reproduce the issue using a
linux svn client.  The repository lives on NFS share and uses fsfs.
Some users are able to commit correctly, but I don't know what they are
doing differently from me (and others are in my boat).

Can anyone help me fix this?

-Jeff

Re: Mysterious Commit Failures (os x 10.4 / svn 1.1.4 fink / svn 1.2.3 darwinports)

Posted by Jeff Vaughan <va...@seas.upenn.edu>.
Quoting Dave Camp <da...@thinbits.com>:

> On Nov 22, 2005, at 11:24 AM, Jeffrey Vaughan wrote:

> > jeff@echo XXXX $ svn commit
> > vaughan2@XXXXXXXXX.XXXXX.upenn.edu's password:
> > Sending        XXXXXXXXX/report.tex
> > Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> > svn: Can't open directory
> > '/mnt/XXX/XXX/svnroot/XXX/db/transactions/90?\194?\136?\195?\150
> >                                                     ?\194?\128': No
> > such
> > file or directory
> > svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
> > svn:    '/Users/jeff/Code/XXXXXXX/writing/papers/svn-commit.4.tmp'

> The path after /transactions looks like it has high ASCII characters
> (possibly UTF-8)... is it supposed to?

I'm not sure.  Doesn't subversion pick that part of the path?

Posted by Dave Camp <da...@thinbits.com>.
On Nov 22, 2005, at 11:24 AM, Jeffrey Vaughan wrote:

> I'm using a subversion repository and get the following error
> message on
> commits:
>
> jeff@echo XXXX $ svn commit
> vaughan2@XXXXXXXXX.XXXXX.upenn.edu's password:
> Sending        XXXXXXXXX/report.tex
> Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Can't open directory
> '/mnt/XXX/XXX/svnroot/XXX/db/transactions/90?\194?\136?\195?\150
>                                                     ?\194?\128': No
> such
> file or directory
> svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
> svn:    '/Users/jeff/Code/XXXXXXX/writing/papers/svn-commit.4.tmp'
>
> Commit emails are not sent to myself or other users and my working
> copy
> remains at the previous version.  However, the repository is updated,
> and my commit message appears in the log.
>
> Setting $LANG=en_US.utf-8 or $LANG=us_US has not helped me.  I access
> the repository using svn+ssh.  I was able to reproduce the issue
> using a
> linux svn client.  The repository lives on NFS share and uses fsfs.
> Some users are able to commit correctly, but I don't know what they
> are
> doing differently from me (and others are in my boat).

The path after /transactions looks like it has high ASCII characters
(possibly UTF-8)... is it supposed to?

Dave