Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Mark Bean <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/10 15:05:31 UTC

Controllser Service validation

Scenario:
We have a custom Controller Service which was deprecated in favor of its
replacement (also custom.) The original CS extends the new CS, and contains
just a single method: customValidate. This remained intact to log a message
saying "Don't use me.. use the new one."

When NiFi was re-started with the new service/deprecated old service,
predictably, the log showed the above message. But, it was appearing
constantly at 5 second intervals. Even when the controller service was
removed from the flow entirely, the messages originating from
customValidate continued every 5 seconds.

Why is validation of a Controller Service - especially one which no longer
exists - occurring periodically? Shouldn't it only occur when its
properties change and/or it is enabled?

Re: Controllser Service validation

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
There are arguments to be made for continuing to validate components
such as Controller Services, Processors, etc.. periodically regardless
of whether their properties change or not.  That would be based on
their environmental interests changing outside their control.

However, what you describe where a CS that is removed entirely sounds
like a bug worth reporting (please file a JIRA) and resolving soon.

thanks