Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Laurent <lg...@free.fr> on 2005/04/30 05:19:06 UTC

Taglibs without RTExpr

Hi,

I am using the Cache taglib from Jakarta Taglibs.

On the documentation page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/cache-doc/
there are examples of attributes having RTExpressions (one example is
key="${user}.${verbosity}"), but the tld says none of the attributes can
be RTExpressions (you can see this on the same page, the 'Runtime
Expression Evaluation' column always says 'No'). So obviously, when /I/
use key="${user}.${verbosity}", it doesn't work.

So...
1. Am I missing something? Is there a logical explanation to this
apparent contradiction?

2. I have, myself, written several taglibs, and have always let all the
attributes be runtime expressions, as I can't see the point of not
letting the user use rt expressions if they want to. Why can't all
attributes of any taglib be a RTExpr? Why ask the taglib author to
specify this in the tld?

3. Just out of curiosity, if I wanted an attribute value to be the
literal string "${user}" (not the value of the "user" attribute, but a 7
character string starting with '$' and ending with '}'), and if the
attribute doesn't accept rt expressions, would it be possible? I know
you could escape this with ${$}{user}, but ${$} is itself a runtime
expression so it can't go in a non-RTExpr attribute.

Thanks for your help.