Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/03/18 21:59:44 UTC

Doxia 1.0 notes

Hi,

Here are some notes on the Doxia refactor for 1.0. Also if anyone can
look at any of the remaining issues that would be good, but I'm going
to put up a vote for the 1.0-alpha-9 shortly. Here are the notes.
Nothing drastic and no API changes really just some decoupling and
reorganization so that Doxia itself is just the parser/sink
architecture with modules. All site and book stuff moved out.

- [ ] Doxia Refactor for 1.0
     - [ ] Separate the basic parser/sink framework from any site and
           book related code. Strip it down to the basic parser/sink
           framework, modularize the code and create tests for each
           module. To that end the following modules have been moved out
           of doxia proper and moved to a sitetools project:
         - [ ] doxia-decoration-model
         - [ ] doxia-doc-renderer
         - [ ] doxia-site-renderer
     - [ ] Break out out the modules that are baked into the core. We
           now have the following set of modules:
         - [ ] doxia-module-apt
         - [ ] doxia-module-confluence
         - [ ] doxia-module-docbook-simple
         - [ ] doxia-module-fml
         - [ ] doxia-module-itext
         - [ ] doxia-module-latex
         - [ ] doxia-module-rtf
         - [ ] doxia-module-twiki
         - [ ] doxia-module-xdoc
         - [ ] doxia-module-xhtml
     - [ ] Move toward having each module have its own complete tests.
           Right now many modules are still using the APT parser for
           their source of events for Sink testing. We need to move away
           from this and have a test parser which emits all know sink
           events for testing Sink implementations.
     - [ ] I will analyse what's needed in an aggregate JAR and produce
           that to make sure everything is compatible with old and new
           versions of Maven. It's primarily that doxia-core contained
           the the widely used APT, XDoc, and FML modules.
Thanks,

Jason.

Re: Doxia 1.0 notes

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 18 Mar 07, at 8:49 PM 18 Mar 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 19/03/2007, at 7:59 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> - [ ] Doxia Refactor for 1.0
>>     - [ ] Separate the basic parser/sink framework from any site and
>>           book related code. Strip it down to the basic parser/sink
>>           framework, modularize the code and create tests for each
>>           module.
>
> +1
>
>> To that end the following modules have been moved out
>>           of doxia proper and moved to a sitetools project:
>>         - [ ] doxia-decoration-model
>>         - [ ] doxia-doc-renderer
>>         - [ ] doxia-site-renderer
>
> +1, with these under doxia-site as discussed
>
> I think we should give the site plugin a once over for anything
> that can be put into the renderer, independent of Maven.
>
>>     - [ ] Move toward having each module have its own complete tests.
>>           Right now many modules are still using the APT parser for
>>           their source of events for Sink testing. We need to move
>> away
>>           from this and have a test parser which emits all know sink
>>           events for testing Sink implementations.
>
> +1
>
>>     - [ ] I will analyse what's needed in an aggregate JAR and
>> produce
>>           that to make sure everything is compatible with old and new
>>           versions of Maven. It's primarily that doxia-core contained
>>           the the widely used APT, XDoc, and FML modules.
>
> Not sure if this is needed, since there's nothing in Maven itself
> that depends on doxia-core (it's just the sink-api). This is just a
> matter of when the reports/site plugin move to a new version of
> doxia, they include dependencies on the modules they need (which
> actually should only be an issue for the site plugin I think). It
> would be nice for the site plugin to be able to do the archetype/
> downloader thing and grab them as needed (though that really is a
> nice to have - maybe later when that tooling is more complete)

The only thing that's a problem is the site plugin relies on the site
modules and their component descriptors which would just make things
easier for the site plugin as we have no active collections yet (but
almost, John is working on it).

Jason.

Re: Doxia 1.0 notes

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 19/03/2007, at 7:59 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> - [ ] Doxia Refactor for 1.0
>     - [ ] Separate the basic parser/sink framework from any site and
>           book related code. Strip it down to the basic parser/sink
>           framework, modularize the code and create tests for each
>           module.

+1