Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by "Tom Barber(Alabs)" <to...@analytical-labs.com> on 2014/07/18 09:53:03 UTC

Filemgr Tests

Shifted some development wishes from private@ to dev@ for Chris ;)

Na I'm only messing, but I do think more care should be taken with
commits vs the test suite because I would like to do the Tika upgrade,
fix the database dialects etc, but I only feel comfortable hacking
around with that stuff if we know the tests work because I don't know
enough about the feature set of the components that I've not used and as
such rely on the tests to tell me what I've borked or not.

Equally should I break a test I'd expect my commits to be reverted and
I'd be asked to fix them before recommitting instead of just putting up
with broken tests.

Lets make it so! ;)

Tom

Re: Filemgr Tests

Posted by "Verma, Rishi (398J)" <Ri...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Tom,

I think your comments hit home. This is exactly what we need to be doing. I think Sean Kelly is trying to set up a call/coordination meeting, did you see the message for that?

> c) Are there any better ways of sorting out, planning, roadmaps, meetings, community stuff, and collaboration on tasks, that we can take from other Apache projects, because, whilst I enjoy OODT, and the ideas behind it (and I appreciate within the NASA bunch there is probably more cohesion), it seems a little rudderless in terms of direction. Feel free to flame me at this point lovely community people.

Yeah - mailing lists are good but I think what would help is definitely a "road map" document, perhaps on the wiki or even the website. i.e. what the goal is for the next release, and how far off are we? JIRA has some tools to support this we may want to leverage. Will look more at it.

Rishi

Re: Filemgr Tests

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
One thing that did cross my mind is with everything being so user/data
driven it might make sense to add a TDD/BDD test suite as it would allow
people to write functional tests.... and living documentation!  ;)

But again that requires s stable base to create one off.

Re: Filemgr Tests

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.

Re: Filemgr Tests

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
Eh?

Re: Filemgr Tests

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Reversed Tom.

Re: Filemgr Tests

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
Hows the stew? ;)

--
*Tom Barber* | Technical Director

meteorite bi
*T:* +44 20 8133 3730
*W:* www.meteorite.bi | *Skype:* meteorite.consulting
*A:* Surrey Technology Centre, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, GU2 7YG, UK

Re: Filemgr Tests

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

--
*Lewis*

Re: Filemgr Tests

Re: Filemgr Tests

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
Hey Lewis,

I know that may have come across like a gripe at you, it certainly
wasn't, just a general moan about the state of the test suite :)

I certainly like anything that feeds back to users regarding commits
either blame emails, jira comments, flashing red hazard lights, you know
the usual :)

Hopefully now I have a few weeks of hacking time until baby number 2
(then I may have even more if it keeps me awake all night ;) ), I know
you've put a lot of effort into the f******g tests and I don't know what
state of repair they are in, but if I can help out with getting them
running let me know.

Regards

Tom

--