Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Grace <ru...@earthlink.net> on 2002/01/30 13:19:18 UTC

Apache 2.0.28 woes

I'm trying to get Apache 2.0.28 working (on Linux 2.4.17/i686) and am having
numerous problems. I would be using 1.3.x but I'm security-conscious and
happen to need the functionality of the perchild MPM module.

After fixing the "apr_exit_why" typo (confirmed by several bug reports) in
perchild.c and applying the official errordoc.patch, I was able to
successfully build Apache using the following:

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local/httpd2 \
--enable-modules=all \
--with-mpm=perchild \
--disable-vhost-alias \
--disable-auth-ldap \
--disable-isapi \
--disable-suexec \
--disable-proxy \
--disable-ssl \
--disable-ldap \
--disable-auth-dbm \
--disable-auth-db \

I setup httpd.conf the way I want it and apache doesn't complain about it at
all. Things are great until I try to load up a webpage in my browser (using
Lynx for testing purposes.). Lynx connects, sends its request and then hangs
indefinitely, with absolutely no output from Apache at all. Nothing gets
written to access.log or error.log (renamed on my system), and 'top' reports
Apache fighting my seti@home client for CPU time -- suggesting an infinite
loop of some sort somewhere.

Furthermore, when I have the PHP 4.1.1 shared module built, the following
will be continuously written to the error log even before a request is sent:

[Wed Jan 30 03:12:40 2002] [notice] child pid 29154 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Wed Jan 30 03:12:40 2002] [notice] child pid 29153 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Wed Jan 30 03:12:40 2002] [notice] child pid 29152 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Wed Jan 30 03:12:41 2002] [notice] child pid 29156 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)

My guess is the segmentation fault is a threading issue in PHP since it's
probably not expecting Apache to be multithreaded, but I'm not sure given
the first problem. PHP is built with the following:

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local/php/httpd2 \
--with-apxs2=/usr/local/httpd2/bin/apxs \
--with-pear \
--with-zlib \
--with-pspell \
--with-bz2 \
--enable-ftp \
--enable-mailparse \
--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql \
--enable-libedit \
--enable-readline \
--enable-inline-optimization \
--enable-memory-limit \
--with-tsrm-pthreads \
--enable-experimental-zts \   /* I added this after the segfaults started to
see if it makes a difference. It doesn't. */

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting this all worked out -- I don't want
to go back to Apache 1.3.x and I have this shiny unused server just begging
to be worked. Any ideas?

-- Daniel Grace <ru...@earthlink.net>
char I_program = 1; if(I_program) I_am(); /* I program, therefore I am */