Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2019/12/03 18:44:20 UTC

Re: Apache Local Community (ALC) as a ComDev Initiative

While I'm excited to see this kind of local ambassador program springing
up, I want to be sure that we are not having people use the Apache name
to promote messages that are not *our* message.

Having local groups of enthusiasts having periodic meetings is great.
What I'm asking is what assurances we want to have in place that the
messaging at these events is accurate?

In the past, when we have had an official (for whatever value of
"official" we want to go with) Apache-sponsored thing, we require a
member to be involved, so that we know that the message is from someone
who actually knows what the message is. What I'm seeing here is a
free-form "create a group by asking nicely" without any member, or even
committer involved. And the events, and their messaging, are then being
promoted on an .apache.org website, which means that they are an
official statement of the Foundation.

I'm feeling a little weird about that.

I agree with Isaac, in that we don't want to set up a lengthy list of
rules for who and how and what, I think that we need to be cautious
about handing out our name, and our reputation, to just anybody that
asks for it. Indeed, it's really kind of critical that we don't. Our
name, and our reputation, are really the only things that we have, and
we simply cannot have unaffiliated groups using our name to promote
messages that are not Approved By Apache.

Please note that I'm not saying that this has happened thus far. I don't
know that, having not attended any of these events. But we have a long
history of people using our name to promote their own agendas, and we
*must* not allow that.

Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://rcbowen.com/
@rbowen

Re: Apache Local Community (ALC) as a ComDev Initiative

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@outlook.com>.
Appoliges. My spam folder seems to be getting over zealous. I need to do some work on that thanks for flagging.

---

Sent from my phone, you know what that means - sorry
Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>.