Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jonny Andersson <pr...@jonand.se> on 2011/10/16 11:45:28 UTC

mvn eclipse:eclipse fail on a newly created Maven J2EE simple project

For single module projects I already have come to really love Maven as a
build tool but I have not yet got there when it come to Java EE
projects. With some help do I however I can get there for Java EE
projects soon. This question have maybe already been asked some times
before but I have not

1. Create a Maven J2EE simple project

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-j2ee-simple
-DarchetypeVersion=1.0 -DgroupId=maven.example.app
-DartifactId=mvn-j2ee-app -Dversion=0.01-SNAPSHOT

2. Change directory into the created project

cd mvn-j2ee-app

3. Open the generated root POM and delete <module>site</module> as there
is no sub folder (module/sub project) site

4. Execute mvn eclipse:eclipse to build eclipse projects for all the modules

5. Beside a number of warnings on missing versions for plugins as the
archetype seems to lack updates for Maven 3 an error occur:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project ear: Could not resolve
dependencies for project root.project:ear:ear:1.0: The following
artifacts could not be resolved: root.project:ejbs:jar:1.0,
root.project.servlets:servlet:war:1.0,
root.project:primary-source:jar:1.0,
root.project.projects:logging:jar:1.0: Failure to find
root.project:ejbs:jar:1.0 in http://repo1.maven.org/maven2 was cached in
the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the
update interval of central has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

Of course, there is no artifacts built until a mvn package is executed.
But shouldn't it be possible to execute a mvn eclipse.eclipse on a newly
generated Maven J2EE simple project without this error? Or should it at
least not be possible to get around it in some way?

I have not been able to find a solution to this and I think it would be
more appropriate if it were possible to create a new Java EE project
from an archetype like this one and only execute mvn eclipse:eclipse and
then begin to work with the modules before any first build is done. What
I want as a start is a simple multi module project that builds an EAR
with a web module and an EJB module.

With thanks and appreciation for any help to solve this
Jonny Andersson

Re: mvn eclipse:eclipse fail on a newly created Maven J2EE simple project

Posted by Jonny Andersson <pr...@jonand.se>.
A lot of thanks for your information! I think it should be possible to
create eclipse files before any initial build (install) but it works the
either way also, of course. But it is interesting to know why it is as
it is, so thanks for this information! I appreciate your effort to
answer my question very much!

Jonny Andersson

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.