Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/10/24 00:25:30 UTC

Re: Getting HEAD revision number from a URL

Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org> writes:
> I see a command 'svnversion' which does exactly what I want, but it
> needs a working copy.
>
> I want to get the revision number of the HEAD of the repository from
> the repository's URL.

Try "svn log -q -rHEAD URL".  For example

   $ svn log -q -rHEAD http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/

Re: Getting HEAD revision number from a URL

Posted by Cristi BALAN <me...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:56:08 -0400, Walden Mathews <wa...@eqwality.com> wrote:

> | Use unxutils and winbash...
> | http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
> | http://winbash.tigris.org/
> |
> | --
> | Cristi BALAN
> |

> How does one download winbash?  Could not
> find a link.
>
> Walden Mathews

There is a documents and files link in the left menu
http://winbash.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=0

--
Cristi BALAN

Re: Getting HEAD revision number from a URL

Posted by Cristi BALAN <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On Oct 23, 2004, at 8:25 PM, kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org> writes:
>> I see a command 'svnversion' which does exactly what I want, but it
>> needs a working copy.
>>
>> I want to get the revision number of the HEAD of the repository from
>> the repository's URL.
>
> Try "svn log -q -rHEAD URL".  For example
>
>    $ svn log -q -rHEAD http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/

> -
>    r11606 | sunny256 | 2004-10-23 19:25:56 -0500 (Sat, 23 Oct 2004)

> -
>    $

That's a bit painful to parse compared to the output of svnversion.
I'm running on Windows, no perl, no python, no bash, so the simplicity
of the output of svnversion was helpful.

It is also irritating in that if I don't give a URL to the root of the
repository the output may be quite different.

I think that this basic bit of information should be easy to get.  Thus
my suggestion to allow a URL argument to  svnversion.

Scott