Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2009/07/31 16:40:31 UTC

Re: FindBugs analysis before the 1.3 release

FYI, this belongs on pivot-dev, not pivot-private.

FindBugs seems to generate a lot of false positives. See if you can
reduce the signal/noise ratio and let us know if there's anything in
there that looks like it might be a real problem.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
> What do you mean by "console"?
Jython has some very interesting features / tools, like:
a parser (as a non interactive console), but also an interactive
console where it's possible to run code inside an application, cool
not ?

Or better, is could run (embed) the Jython shell (interactive or not)
from a Java application (or Servlet if required), and then run Jython
code, or invoking java code.

Take a look:

http://wiki.python.org/jython/UserGuide#invoking-the-jython-interpreter

http://etutorials.org/Programming/Python+tutorial/Part+V+Extending+and+Embedding/Chapter+25.+Extending+and+Embedding+Jython/25.2+Embedding+Jython+in+Java/

http://onjava.com/lpt/a/1641

http://vgoenka.tripod.com/jython/jython_index.html

But attention, there are a lots of old articles, mainly referring to
the previous version 2.2.x ... now obsolete.

> The easiest way to use script in Pivot is in WTKX. You can embed your script
> code in a <wtkx:script> element. See the scripting demo for a simple
> example.
Yes, probably this is the first thing to test, but in this demo I'd
like to test also a more complex behavior, like (but i don't know if
it's possible, and how) like calling Pivot code and elements directly
from inside a Pivot Application. And this could help us to implement
other things ... like prototyping, etc.

Ah, I've just read this:
> To use JSR 223 with Jython, download the engine and add it to your classpath along with Jython. Then use code like the above to create and use an engine. One difference between embedding with JSR 223 and using PythonInterpreter directly is that the scripting engine manages its own PySystemState per thread so it can always set the classloader to the thread's context classloader. This means if you want to do anything Jython specific to PySystemState, like adding to sys.path or setting sys.stdin and sys.stdout, you should do it after creating the ScriptEngine.

> Note that JSR 223 currently only works with Jython 2.2.1. Support for JSR 223 should be restored in Jython 2.5.1.

And also Scala should have something like this, or if not at the
moment, in the next release (2.8.0) yes.

What do you think ?

Bye

Re: FindBugs analysis before the 1.3 release

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
What do you mean by "console"?

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
> FYI, this belongs on pivot-dev, not pivot-private.
Ok, thanks.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Greg,

Thanks for catching that this thread should have not been posted on private.
Just to re-iterate why...

All development discussions, and decisions around it, at Apache happens in
public, full transparency and available to all. That means, no face-to-face
elaborations, no I'M, no phone calls and no private messages that concerns
the community. Of course, people do meet, chat and what not, but as soon as
a bit of info surface in such, that should be relayed to community and
invitation to all to participate. It can't be a handed down solution and
decision.

Now, there are a few typical exceptions, that the PMC normally deal with in
private,

A. Discussions about individuals, since some people are not comfortable
talking 'about' someone else that is present. This incl committer and PMC
member votes.

B. Security issues where spreading the knowledge too wide is a problem/risk.

C. When a 3rd party request private discussions, and can't be talked into
making it in public.

I'm sure there are other cases that I can't recall off-head.

So far, the Pivot community is doing good on this issue, especially
considering Greg's and Todd's historically close collaboration on the
project.

Cheers
Niclas