Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Xavier Brouckaert <xb...@info.ucl.ac.be> on 2004/07/13 13:09:50 UTC

REPORT failed : SSL error: illegal padding

Hi,

I've got this error message and I didn't find an answer in the
mailinglists/google :

xbr@bush:~/turner/papers$ svn up
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/papers/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/papers/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response
body: SSL error: illegal padding (https://...)

It only happens at the root of the papers repository (same error with -N
arg).  I'm not the user that brought this situation so I don't really
know why it happens but I'd like to know how to fix this problem.

I don't understand why it says '/svn/papers/...' because the repository
is in /usr/local/svn/papers and the working copy is in ~/turner/papers.

FYI, I use subversion, libsvn0, libapache2-svn 1.0.5, openssl 0.9.7d,
neon 0.24.6 (debian unstable).

Subversion seems to work, even with the error message but it's scary.

Thank you,
Xavier

Re: REPORT failed : SSL error: illegal padding

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:02:18PM +0200, Xavier Brouckaert wrote:
> > There weren't any other log messages? Can you still reproduce this now?
>
> Yes, I have reproduced it in a test repository.
> A backup of the test repository is available here :
> http://130.104.230.60/test.tar.bz2 (>100Mb)

I just did a couple of checkouts over SSL using this repos from 1.0.5 on
httpd-2.0.50 without issues, on Fedora Core 2.

joe

Re: REPORT failed : SSL error: illegal padding

Posted by Xavier Brouckaert <xb...@info.ucl.ac.be>.
> There weren't any other log messages? Can you still reproduce this now?

Yes, I have reproduced it in a test repository.
A backup of the test repository is available here :
http://130.104.230.60/test.tar.bz2 (>100Mb)

I did a svn import which succeeded, then a svn checkout which failed,
then several svn up and they failed too.
The log is attached.

Try with my test repository and you should get the same error with ssl.

Regards,

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 11:00:02AM +0200, Xavier Brouckaert wrote:
> You're right :
> Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500,
> #0]
> A failure occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #103]
> (84)Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character: Error writing
> base64 data: Software caused connection abort  [500, #103]

I'm not sure if any of that is actually useful error information
unfortunately.  There was a mod_dav_svn errno handling issue which meant
the multibyte error could get logged spuriously.  Possibly that's hiding
the real error code.

ECONNABORTED probably isn't useful: from a system call you'd only see
this from accept() AFAIK, and both mod_ssl and mod_dav_svn will return
ECONNABORTED in a few cases if the c->aborted flag is set for the
connection in Apache.  Which means the real reason for the abort appears
to be lost :(

Posted by Xavier Brouckaert <xb...@info.ucl.ac.be>.

#0]
A failure occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #103]
(84)Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character: Error writing
base64 data: Software caused connection abort  [500, #103]

This guy has the same problem :
http://www.contactor.se/~dast/svnusers/archive-2003-12/0157.shtml
In that thread, you asked him to set LogLevel info. Unfortunately, he
didn't answer.  In the meantime, I removed all the files locally (1.5
Gb) on the server that were mistakenly imported and things got working
again. (I used file:// instead of https://).  So, a checkout with https
failed and a checkout with file succeeded.

The REPORT error message occured after a simple EPS file and before a
text file.  Both files do not contain accentuated characters in their
names and both aren't big.  I don't know if this can help.

I was wrong in my previous mail when I said that things were working
even with the error message.  The connection stops after the error
message and all further updates aren't performed.

Have you an idea on how I can prevent this from arriving again ?

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.