Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "S.L" <si...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/30 08:25:51 UTC

eDismax parser and the mm parameter

Hi All,

I am planning to use the eDismax query parser in SOLR to give boost to
documents that have a phrase in their fields present. Now there is a mm
parameter in the edismax parser query , since the query typed by the user
could be of any length (i.e. >=1) I would like to set the mm value to 1 . I
have the following questions regarding this parameter.

   1. Is it set to 1 by default ?
   2. In my schema.xml the defaultOperator is set to "AND" should I set it
   to "OR" inorder for the edismax parser to be effective with a mm of 1?

Thanks in advance!

Re: eDismax parser and the mm parameter

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Using mm=1 with (e)dismax is not a good idea. Your user will be unhappy. Because there in no coord factor with this parser.
coord is about : "Typically, a document that contains more of the query's terms will receive a higher score than another document with fewer query terms."

I suggest you to use something more restrictive  : "3<-1 6<80%"

I think there is a new feature autoRelax in some ticket. Even better start with mm=100% and relax mm value until you retrieve *enough* documents.

It is OK to use default operator of OR with default operator because coord factor kicks in.

http://lucene.apache.org/core/3_0_3/api/all/org/apache/lucene/search/Similarity.html#formula_coord

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxQParserPlugin#mm_.28Minimum_.27Should.27_Match.29

Ahmet

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 12:21 PM, Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com> wrote:
1. Yes, the default for mm is 1.

2. It depends on what you are really trying to do - you haven't told us.

Generally, mm=1 is equivalent to q.op=OR, and mm=100% is equivalent to
q.op=AND.

Generally, use q.op unless you really know what you are doing.

Generally, the intent of mm is to set the minimum number of OR/SHOULD
clauses that must match on the top level of a query.

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: The word "no" in a query

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Bob,

Your field type would be useful here. Can you copy-paste it?

Ahmet

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:01 PM, François Schiettecatte <fs...@gmail.com> wrote:
Have you looked at the debugging output?

    http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#Debugging

François

Re: The word "no" in a query

Posted by François Schiettecatte <fs...@gmail.com>.