Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Austin McAdory <ar...@hotmail.com> on 2003/11/01 06:46:28 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_userdir.c permissions error

Ok...where do i begin?  I'm running Apache 1.3.28 on a RedHat Linux 9
server, with 1.4GHz Athlon, 768MB RAM, and 40GB HD.  Naturally i'm trying to
setup userdirectories.  So i have built apache with the options
--enable-module=so (for PHP support which is working) and
--enable-module=userdir.

I have got everything in my document root to all work purfectly.  However
when i try to serve a UserDir i have problems.  Going to
http://starfoc.redirectme.net/~virage/ should give me an empty directory
listing (since the directory is empty) but as you can see if you try it, it
instead says:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~virage/ on this server.

Apache/1.3.28 Server at starfox.redirectme.net Port 80

So i figured that the directory had some sort of permissions error, and
naturally i did a:
chmod a+rwx public_html
but still no luck.

Next I have checked my httpd.conf file at least 20 times for errors, and
furthermore, the thing i have setup for the user directories is the default
setup, hence there SHOULD be no problem.

So next i looked in my error and access logs...error log says:

[Fri Oct 31 23:38:02 2003] [error] [client 68.119.90.60] (13)Permission
denied: access to /~virage/ failed becasue search permissions are missing on
a component of the path

Which is greek to me.  Access log said:

68.119.90.60 - - [31/Oct/2003:23:38:01 -0600] "GET /~virage/ HTTP/1.1" 403
297

Which dosn't tell me much more.

My hope is that somebody can tell me exactly what that error from the error
log means.

It also might be worth mentioning that once a placed an index.php file in
the directory, i still get the same error.

I have spent the last 4 hours wadeing through the apache documentation doing
12 different searches and found nothing so i beg you all not to tell me to
read the manual.

That's all, thanks.

Austin

Never get a busy signal because you are always connected  with high-speed
Internet access. Click here to comparison-shop providers.
https://broadband.msn.com

Re: [users@httpd] mod_userdir.c permissions error

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Austin McAdory wrote:
> [Fri Oct 31 23:38:02 2003] [error] [client 68.119.90.60] (13)Permission
> denied: access to /~virage/ failed becasue search permissions are missing on
> a component of the path

"search permissions" on a directory are the "x" bit in "rwx".  "a
component of the path" means one of the directories in the path to
~virage/.  Assuming this directory is at /home/virage/public_html, then
you need to check the permissions on /home/, /home/virage/, and
/home/virage/public_html.  If these directories don't have at least search
permissions (chmod +x), then there is no way for apache to access the
files.

[I'm not sure of any way to make this error message clearer.]

> I have spent the last 4 hours wadeing through the apache documentation doing
> 12 different searches and found nothing so i beg you all not to tell me to
> read the manual.

The relevant part of TFM is
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#forbidden

Joshua.