Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Christian Niles <ca...@nyu.edu> on 2002/02/17 19:59:42 UTC

IE 5 requiring excessive logins

I'm having an issue with IE 5 where on certain occasions IE will pop up a
login window for EVERY request in a protected directory. i believe it may be
restricted to 5.0 but i'm relating this second hand from a couple of users;
i've never reproduced it myself. The only workaround found is to open a
new window and everything works perfectly in the new window.
Searching various places, this seems to be the only thing similar, though in
completely different circumstance:

http://www.humanfactor.com/cgi-bin/cgi-delegate/apache-ML/nh/1999/Sep/0303.html

FYI, Here's the basic setup:
apache 1.3.19 on RH7.1 running mod_perl
(note: i haven't defined my own handlers, just using Apache::Registry )

Here's a basic skeleton of the realms defined:
/admin/ <main admin area>
/admin/images < all users have access; contains shared images >
/admin/help <again, all users have access>
/post/ <special sandbox administration area >

one complication is that the /post area shares stuff with the admin area,
namely images and help files. multiple original logins is fine but every
image, new page, etc is asking for a password.

thanks for any suggestions,
christian.