Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Kelvin Tan <ke...@relevanz.com> on 2002/02/01 11:00:40 UTC

Re: Indexing and Searching happening together

hmmmm...have read http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg00133.html

True (and it's great) that once an IndexReader is open, no actions on the IndexWriter affect it.

However, if an IndexReader is opened _after_ indexing begins, I suppose it'll throw an exception? Doesn't it mean that when indexing is taking place, the search engine is effectively down...

I suppose then, that if I still want to have the search engine up whilst indexing (where indexing takes a non-trivial amount of time), I'll have to index to a temporary location, then copy the index files over? Alternatively, I guess it's possible to open an IndexReader _before_ commencement of indexing and provide this instance of IndexReader to clients who need to search?

I just realized that I've effectively rephrased my initial question (and post). Perhaps it's the way I phrased my question (or that I'm missing something), but I don't seem to have gotten my query across initially...

Regards,
Kelvin