Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matthew Boeckman <ma...@saepio.com> on 2002/05/01 18:07:56 UTC

OutofMemoryError

Hello List.

I'm running tomcat 3.1.1 on RH7.1, kernel 2.4.9-31 with JDK1.3.1, mysql
3.23.43
I am occasionally seeing tomcat go postal with the following errors:
Exception in thread "CompileThread0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
requested 32760 bytes

****************
Another exception has been detected while we were handling last error.
No information available.
Please check ERROR REPORT FILE for further information, if there is any.
Good bye.

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x419852cb
Function name=(N/A)
Library=(N/A)

NOTE: We are unable to locate the function name symbol for the error
       just occurred. Please refer to release documentation for possible
       reason and solutions.

Current Java thread:

****************
Another exception has been detected while we were handling last error.
Dumping information about last error:
ERROR REPORT FILE = (N/A)
PC                = 0x0x419852cb
SIGNAL            = 11
FUNCTION NAME     = (N/A)
LIBRARY NAME      = (N/A)
Please check ERROR REPORT FILE for further information, if there is any.
Good bye.

Any thoughts on what might be the cause? There is nothing in the log
files to tell me more than this, which gets dumped to the console.

-Thanks!

--
Matthew Boeckman			(816) 777-2160
Manager - Systems Integration		Saepio Technologies

RE: Re[2]: OutofMemoryError

Posted by Laurent Féral-Pierssens <la...@distincthorizon.com>.
Thanks, yes we can live with that. Actually, since we added those
changes it really improved the stability of the application. Those
suggestions were made on that list a few months ago.

Regards,
Laurent

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Laurent,

From:

--
Best regards,

Re: OutofMemoryError

Posted by David Cassidy <dc...@nisports.com>.
I found exactly the same thing ( memory usage climbing)
but when I removed the -Xincgc it's all OK
memory useage fine etc etc etc ...

Re: OutofMemoryError

Posted by Matthew Boeckman <ma...@saepio.com>.

Re: OutofMemoryError

Posted by Jari Ikavalko <ja...@cc.jyu.fi>.
Hi Matthew and co.,

Re: OutofMemoryError

Posted by Matthew Boeckman <ma...@saepio.com>.
I noticed something about this on the tomcat 4.0 download site :

IMPORTANT NOTE: Virtual machine crashes have been reported when using
Linux 2.4 with Sun JVM version 1.2.x and 1.3.x. See the release notes
below for more details. (the release notes simply restate this rather
useless paragraph)

One would think that would have been somewhat more prominently displayed
somewhere, but I never saw it until I went to get 4.0.3 ...

We had seen the VM go past Xms before, but it only starts crashing in
certain fairly high session situations. I'm working on some tests for
jdk1.4.0 and TM 4.0.3 now. If that upgrade fixes this hole, I'll happily
post back to the list!

I'm glad to hear that I'm not crazy and that others have seen this.

-Matthew

RE: OutofMemoryError

Posted by Laurent Féral-Pierssens <la...@distincthorizon.com>.
Matthew,