Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kausik Dey <k_...@hotmail.com> on 2003/12/16 02:29:54 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.16 DBCP Connection Pool Exhausted Error

Hi Guys,
Currently I am using 5.0.5 in production. I was trying to upgrade to 5.0.15 or 5.0.16. I made necessary changes to server.xml to create informix DBCP. Unfortunately, I am getting "Connection Pool Exhausted" error while trying to obtain the connection from Datasource. Is it a bug in these version or I am doing something wrong? Please advise me.

Re: Tomcat 5.0.16 DBCP Connection Pool Exhausted Error

Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.net>.
Hmm maybe you are not returning connections after using them ?

In the tomcat docs they do give a pattern you could use in your code, like

try {

}catch(SQLException e) {

}finally {
       try {
             //Perform your close statements here.
       }catch(SQLException e) {

       }
}

HIH .

Posted by Kausik Dey <k_...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,
I am getting right away. Below the code structure where I am getting.
   try{
      Context ctx = new InitialContext();
      if(ctx == null )
          throw new Exception("No Context found");

      DataSource ds =
(DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/informixDB");

      if (ds != null) {
        Connection conn = ds.getConnection();
------------------   Here its going to catch section with "connection pool
exhausted error". --------------------------
-
-
Thanks

KD
Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.net>.
This is where I saw it :
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/apidocs/org/apache/commons/dbcp/AbandonedConfig.html

But I think the code is still in there, just marked as deprecated :D

Posted by Philipp Taprogge <Ph...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.net>.

Posted by Philipp Taprogge <Ph...@gmx.net>.
Kausik Dey wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> Currently I am using 5.0.5 in production. I was trying to upgrade to 5.0.15 or 5.0.16. I made necessary changes to server.xml
 > to create informix DBCP. Unfortunately, I am getting "Connection
Pool Exhausted" error while trying to obtain the connection
> from Datasource. Is it a bug in these version or I am doing something wrong? Please advise me.

Hmm... are you getting the error right away or only after a few requests?

Hard to say anything without further information. It is always a good
idea to make sure you properly close all Statements, ResultSets anc
Connections obtained from the pool.
If you ae using commons dbcp, you could also add

to your ressource definition. The first should remove any stale
connections after they time out, the second should give you a stack
trace of the violating code.

Hope this helps

		Phil