Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by aditya chandran <ad...@hotmail.com> on 2016/08/08 10:14:29 UTC

Reply to : download, but unable to use

Hi Herma

You can without a doubt create a word (doc,docx) file with OpenOffice writer all you need to do is while saving it make sure that you save it using the ( .docx,doc) extension
Please check out the following link for open office Tutorials
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Tutorials

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
As already said in my first mail, I was talking about .docx (OOXML). You say that AOO can save in .docx which is wrong.
For a new user, such statement is misleading. Hardly a mythbuster.
Of course I know how to save in .doc (I use OOo since 2.0), even if I don't use AOO for that.

Hagar

Le 09/08/2016  15:55, aditya chandran a crit :

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I believe the objection was to the statement that Apache OpenOffice will produce .docx files.  That it will not do. Yes, .doc, .xls, .ppt can be produced.  But not .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx.

Although Apache OpenOffice will read .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx (though not necessarily as well as the older forms), it is not possible to edit them and save them back in the very same format.  After any editing, one must save in an older Microsoft Office format (.doc, etc.) and hope, as always, that the necessary features and fidelity of the original are preserved.

 - Dennis

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by aditya chandran <ad...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Hagar

You're right but the problem is that Herma wanted to create .doc file with OpenOffice as she lost her ms word and now wanted to use AOO as an alternative for writing it.I agree that the format .doc will work fabulously with ms word too but she can also use AOO to save time and money. If she knows how to save a file as .docx then she does not have to go hunting for another app. .odt no doubt will not just be easier to manage but also wonderful to work with , but as ms word has world domination in the market and as AOO also gives us the option to make a word document in .doc format I thought why not let her know about it.
Well I am new over here but I have been using AOO since a long time and I have alscreated a lot of .doc files with it. Sorry if whatever I wrote was nothing related to what you wanted to convey , pls let me know if that's the case.

Regards Aditya
(A newbie)

Aditya AOO does not save in OOXML. But LibreOffice does. The feature was not activated by design in OOo in the past IIRC. The point nowadays is less the software than the file format. Remember that OOXML has not been designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office. So if you need to use this format, better use MS Office to avoid any surprise. If you want a truly open format, then stick to ODF (.odt). File format is an aspect of the vendor lock-in policy, don't forget that. Hagar Le 08/08/2016 à 15:02, aditya chandran a écrit : > Well Nasrin that is not the case actually you can save the file in .doc format and even docx!!! Well as I said in the earlier reply while saving it choose .docx format.Please try out and if you're facing any problems please do tell me , I'll try to send steps to do it. > Regards Aditya > > From: nasrin khaksar > Sent: Monday 8 August 17:52 > Subject: Re: Reply to : download, but unable to use > To: users@openoffice.apache.org > > hi herma. openoffice supports many formats for import, but you can only save your documents as .doc in microsoft formats of word and about .docx, you can only open it read it and if you want to change it you can not save it as .docx. i wish that Openoffice supports .docx format even for save like libreoffice in the new future! On 8/8/16, aditya chandran wrote: > Hi Herma > > You can without a doubt create a word (doc,docx) file with OpenOffice writer > all you need to do is while saving it make sure that you save it using the ( > .docx,doc) extension > Please check out the following link for open office Tutorials > https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Tutorials > > > From: herma reeskamp > Sent: Monday 8 August 01:11 > Subject: download, but unable to use > To: users@openoffice.apache.org > > the programm is now downloaded. when i click nothing appears that looks like > writing a document myself. I lost my access to microsoft 2003 word (do not > know how to recover, as lost CD and code, shared with a friend jears ago). I > do not see any possibility to start writing a new document with this > programm, it does in no way look like word. I can select /open only > documenst of other people, i do not want to read them! also no possibility > to access my own word documents alas. what could be done? How could I get > into my own struff? how to open a new page in this ?programm? Is it at all > possible to have ones own documents or is everything open to anybody? I am > totally lost > -- Those who follow the Messenger-Prophet, the Ummi, whom they find written down with them in the Taurat and the Injeel [who] enjoins them good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful to them the good things and makes unlawful to them impure things, and removes from them their burden and the shackles which were upon them; so [as for] those who believe in him and honor him and help him, and follow the light which has been sent down with him, these it is that are the successful. holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157. best website for studying islamic book in different languages al-islam.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@openoffice.apache.org For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@openoffice.apache.org > --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@openoffice.apache.org For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@openoffice.apache.org

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Aditya

Posted by aditya chandran <ad...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by nasrin khaksar <na...@gmail.com>.
hi herma.

On 8/8/16, aditya chandran <ad...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Herma
>
> You can without a doubt create a word (doc,docx) file with OpenOffice writer
> all you need to do is while saving it make sure that you save it using the (
> .docx,doc) extension
> Please check out the following link for open office Tutorials
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Tutorials

al-islam.org