Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <sl...@commerce.ubc.ca> on 2001/02/09 20:43:15 UTC

temporary solution to "no acceptable variants" problem.

Unless someone objects in the next day or so, I am going to run the
following script on each directory of the docs and commit the resulting
.html.html files:

#! /bin/sh
for file in `ls *.en | sed s/.en//g`
do
    echo "<!--#include virtual=\"$file.en\" -->" > $file.html;
done

If other sites (eg www.apache.jp) want a different "fallback" file,
then they can change the script accordingly and run it on their
version.

Once again, for those that haven't been watching, this is to help the
thousands of people who are every day accessing httpd.apache.org/docs/
without english in their Accept-Language header.  I believe that just
serving the english page is better than the ugly and confusing error
message presently being served.

Comments welcome.

Joshua.

Re: temporary solution to "no acceptable variants" problem.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > The problem is, there is just not enough information available to the
> > ErrorDocument.  In specific, the default error page lists the available
> > variants, but a custom ErrorDocument cannot do this.
>
> It should be able to do so; check the REDIRECT_ERROR_NOTES envariable
> (I think that is what it is called).

(I did check before I made that statment ;-)

REDIRECT_ERROR_NOTES="no acceptable variant: /export/home/slive/ap/httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/server-wide.html"

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

--
#ken    P-)}

Re: temporary solution to "no acceptable variants" problem.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > Once again, for those that haven't been watching, this is to help the
> > thousands of people who are every day accessing httpd.apache.org/docs/
> > without english in their Accept-Language header.
>
> I do not remember that statistic..  Perhaps adding an ErrorDocument
> in the docs/.htaccess file would be useful as well, to clean up
> the text?

The problem is, there is just not enough information available to the
ErrorDocument.  In specific, the default error page lists the available
variants, but a custom ErrorDocument cannot do this.

Regarding the statistic, there are 3382 "no acceptable variant" errors in
/www/error_log for the twelve hours ending at 12pm PST today.  These came
from 1175 unique IP addresses and a quick skim of the lines tells me that
they are all from the httpd docs.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.