Posted to dev@openaz.apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2015/05/01 15:56:11 UTC

Re: Minutes from OpenAz call April 23, 2015

Hi Pam,

> Ok - so what I¹d like to do is create JIRA¹s for the items we discussed
at the status meeting.

+1. I believe the others have covered the issues surrounding
non-mailing-list discussions.

> Then call an official vote(s) via email for which JIRA's to take care for
the first release. As well as a vote for the release number.

Apache does not really work in such a formal way. Votes are really only
required for releases, voting in new commiters/PMC members, and possibly
for some major project decisions. Instead, you might create a mail with a
[DISCUSS] in the subject, and lay out what you feel to be a good versioning
system for the project, and a reasonable set of JIRAs to do for the first
release. People can then agree or disagree etc.

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Minutes from OpenAz call April 23, 2015

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 01/05/15 15:56, Colm O hEigeartaigh a écrit :
> Hi Pam,
>
>> Ok - so what I¹d like to do is create JIRA¹s for the items we discussed
> at the status meeting.
>
> +1. I believe the others have covered the issues surrounding
> non-mailing-list discussions.
>
>> Then call an official vote(s) via email for which JIRA's to take care for
> the first release. As well as a vote for the release number.
>
> Apache does not really work in such a formal way. Votes are really only
> required for releases, voting in new commiters/PMC members, and possibly
> for some major project decisions. Instead, you might create a mail with a
> [DISCUSS] in the subject, and lay out what you feel to be a good versioning
> system for the project, and a reasonable set of JIRAs to do for the first
> release. People can then agree or disagree etc.

Colm is right here. We don't have a formal process, it' sup to this PMC
to define what fits your need.

If you prefer using a JIRA and vote it for each feature, it's up to you.
If you think it's a bit too rigid, you can adapt.

What is important is that every decision is made as a consensus, through
the mailing list.

At some point, you can also let one pick a feature, work on it, and
close it. If anyone part of the project does not feel that the
implementation is correct, or fits the project requirement,, then a
discussion can follow. Ultimately, one can always veto a commit (quite a
rare situation though).

The 'Apache Way' just try to make things done smoothly through consensus
building, that's the key point ! ANd consensus means every one is
included, in a way or another.

Hope it helps.