Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Allistair Crossley <Al...@QAS.com> on 2004/09/02 15:32:18 UTC

TC 5.5 - 4 issues (jasper, ROOT, jndi, logging)

Hi Guys

Decided to give TC 5.5 / JDK 5 B2 a whirl today with our web application on my local machine and am having some teething troubles;

1/ Jasper has an issue with JSP page imports where the imported packages are not used. This is throwing an exception.

2/ Had the error mentioned earlier about ROOT child '' cannot be deployed because it was shared by another context. I just removed the ROOT folder from webapps to get rid of that problem.

3/ None of my JNDI resources configured in tomcat.home/conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp.xml are being recognised. This was copied direct from my TC 5.0.25 installation ... should this still work? Database JAR is in common/lib. Getting lots of

Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null' errors and also in STDOUT

WARNING: Error during context /mywebapp restart
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.checkResources(HostConfig.java:1031)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1123)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:292)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.backgroundProcess(StandardHost.java:729)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1511)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1520)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1500)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

4/ The logging suggestion at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/logger.html did not work for me. I have log4j.properties in my webapp classes ... does this override any other log4j config like in this example?

Cheers for any insight into the JNDI problem :)

ADC.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474

Re: TC 5.5 - 4 issues (jasper, ROOT, jndi, logging)

Posted by Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu>.
I ran into the same issue with DBCP and JNDI.

Jon

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:32:18 +0100, Allistair Crossley
<al...@qas.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Decided to give TC 5.5 / JDK 5 B2 a whirl today with our web application on my local machine and am having some teething troubles;
>
> 1/ Jasper has an issue with JSP page imports where the imported packages are not used. This is throwing an exception.

Did you look at the generated source ?

> 2/ Had the error mentioned earlier about ROOT child '' cannot be deployed because it was shared by another context. I just removed the ROOT folder from webapps to get rid of that problem.

Does everyone really think it's a good idea to have Context elements
in server.xml ?

> 3/ None of my JNDI resources configured in tomcat.home/conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp.xml are being recognised. This was copied direct from my TC 5.0.25 installation ... should this still work? Database JAR is in common/lib. Getting lots of
>
> Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null' errors and also in STDOUT

I noticed the ResourceLink element didn't work at all in 5.5.0: the
digester rule was simply missing. Besides that, there could be an
issue with the tweaked DBCP, but that would be surprising.

> WARNING: Error during context /mywebapp restart
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.checkResources(HostConfig.java:1031)
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1123)
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:292)
>         at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.backgroundProcess(StandardHost.java:729)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1511)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1520)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1500)

Which happens if the host doesn't have a child with that name, which
is not normal. How can you possibly get that ?

> 4/ The logging suggestion at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/logger.html did not work for me. I have log4j.properties in my webapp classes ... does this override any other log4j config like in this example?

That doc page is gone now (it was still linked from very few places).

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat