Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/17 05:23:21 UTC

Draft Proposal for overall website direction

All,

I have a draft of something we can kick around for our website overall.

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/blob/master/WEBSITE-2020.adoc

This took 3 hours to write so apologies for the size.  Much of this is experience from all the efforts of the past, some imagined improvements to successful parts of the site, while paving the way for the Antora work.

Food on the table, cranky wife!  Must go!

Sorry for the short email! :)

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Draft Proposal for overall website direction

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.
I think the compatibility matrix can be also added into the "Release notes
and download pages" or in the separated section.

We have a couple of tickets related to this and the spirit behind is that
we can automate the pom scanning of a specific TomEE version and provide a
compatibility matrix that includes not just JakartaEE but also MicroProfile
compatibility visibility.

--
Atentamente:
César Hernández.

Re: Draft Proposal for overall website direction

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
I wrote some overly long and unfocussed comments, and pushed them to my fork and opened a PR.  I don’t seem to have permissions to merge…. did I follow the wrong procedure (e.g. should I make a branch and merge from  that) or do I not have appropriate permissions?  Maybe my GitHub identity is not appropriately lined up with my Apache identity?

Thanks
David Jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Wheels rolling but quick thought, maybe I just copy/paste it here and use
the list and maybe update it periodically?

I’m open.

--
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Draft Proposal for overall website direction

Posted by David Blevins <db...@tomitribe.com>.
Hello from the tarmac in IAH!

wrote:

> What would you consider the best way of providing detailed comments on
> this?  Perhaps editing the document adding subsections or sublist items
> with my initials?
>
> Thanks
> David Jencks
>
> > On Feb 16, 2020, at 9:23 PM, David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > I have a draft of something we can kick around for our website overall.
> >
> > -
> https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/blob/master/WEBSITE-2020.adoc
> >
> > This took 3 hours to write so apologies for the size.  Much of this is
> experience from all the efforts of the past, some imagined improvements to
> successful parts of the site, while paving the way for the Antora work.
> >
> > Food on the table, cranky wife!  Must go!
> >
> > Sorry for the short email! :)
> >

> > --
> > David Blevins
> > http://twitter.com/dblevins
> > http://www.tomitribe.com
> >

> --
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Draft Proposal for overall website direction

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Everyone should follow Gilberto's example and jump into the conversation.

It's common on open source for two people to race out ahead of everyone.  The train looks like it's moving fast and jumping in looks dangerous, so people get intimidated and that compounds.  Trains that go too fast often derail.

Jumping even with questions is a huge contribution.  You don't need to jump in with an expert opinion.  Just jump :)

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for top posting… I might have a slightly different direction to look in.

Thinking about some of the comments along the lines of “jbake is good enough” I’ve realized that, for me, the main benefit Antora brings over anything else I’m aware of is that it helps you organize your content in a sensible yet very flexible way.

I’d like to draw an analogy to the ant-vs.-maven controversy, if anyone remembers that far back :-)  They are both build tools that take your java source and use the java compiler to create class files.  Aren’t they just the same then?  Well, would you suggest taking TomEE to an ant-based build?  Perhaps not…. maven suggests a project organization that makes good sense for most java projects, and does about 70-99% of the organizational work for you.

Perhaps similarly, Antora more or less enforces a simple sensible documentation organization, and provides a simple consistent way to get a nice looking website out with almost no configuration needed.

This documentation project is much larger than I anticipated at first, and the hard part is finding all the content and figuring out a plausible organization.  I think I’ve found pretty much everything, and have a preliminary organization.  Admittedly I’m strongly biased in favor of Antora, but I would never have considered the project of even collecting all the existing content without the organization Antora provides.

That said, I’m fairly amazed at how much of Antora’s functionality David has compressed into the tomcat-site-generator.  However, it’s incomplete, undocumented, unmaintained, and buggy.  I suggest that maintaining something like that is not what anyone involved in TomEE wants to be spending their time on.

One possible other factor to consider is that my interest here is primarily in finding out what it’s like to migrate a moderately complex disorganized website to Antora, and investigating what extensions or outside work (such as javadoc) are needed. I’m really not interested in participating in other solutions.  I expect to continue until I get something I’m satisfied with or I get tired.  I think I already have pretty much all the content as Asciidoctor, and I hope to get it to idiomatic error-free asciidoc. If the community wants a non-Antora solution it should be moderately straightforward to de-Antora-ize the content, but it’s not something I’m likely to be participating in.

In partial answer to David’s last question, I think one reason for the doc decay was allowing too many choices, so that it quickly became too hard to figure out how to do anything.

Thanks
David Jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
Part of this discussion is about how to organize the website.

I was just pointed to this, which I think has a very nice description of different purposes for different documentation, no matter what technology is used for the site:

https://lisk.io/blog/announcement/lisk-documentation-migrated-asciidoc-and-antora

David Jencks
<snip my previous replies>

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
I was more or less assuming that before reorganizing the website content, organizing it was required.  Otherwise, you could just drop all current content and start over, which admittedly might be faster and more satisfactory.

The asciidoctor-maven-plugin is only usable if you want a site with only one version.  All of the sites you note below indeed only have one version.  Although primitive, what David Blevins came up with in tomee-site-generator at least allows multiple versions.

For me, two hard requirements would be:
- generate the entire site in one action.  I think this is needed to track what is supposed to be there and avoid orphaned content like we have now.
- support multiple components and versions with easy navigation between them.  At a minimum, I think there can be general version less information and version specific information.  Separating content into perhaps a User Guide and a Reference Guide would be even better.

Here are some Antora generated sites:

Customized UI:
https://camel.apache.org/manual/latest/getting-started.html / https://github.com/apache/camel/tree/master/docs
https://isis.apache.org/guides/ugfun/ugfun.html (using rather non-standard navigation; I find this confusing) /https://github.com/apache/isis/tree/master/antora (I think this is far too complicated, but it’s one approach to organizing a gigantic disorganized set of documentation)
https://docs.couchbase.com/server/6.5/introduction/intro.html / https://github.com/couchbase/docs-site
https://www.uyuni-project.org/uyuni-docs/uyuni/index.html / https://github.com/uyuni-project/uyuni-docs

Unmodified UI
https://books.japila.pl/apache-spark-internals/apache-spark-internals/latest/index.html / https://github.com/japila-books/apache-spark-internals

There’s a list of more sites here:

https://gitlab.com/antora/antora.org/issues/20

Some of these sites, for reasons I don’t understand, avoid making it clear that there are multiple components and versions.  In the default UI, and several of these sites, at the lower left there’s a component selector allowing you to choose which component/version you want to look at.

This is also visible in my preview site.

I’m not aware of any other comparable system that provides built in this level of organization.

David Jencks

Posted by Daniel Cunha <da...@gmail.com>.
I like the ideas as well and I'm totally agree with you Jon.

Em qua., 19 de fev. de 2020 às 10:38, Jonathan Gallimore <
jonathan.gallimore@gmail.com> escreveu:

> I'm not strongly opinionated on the tools to actually generate the content.
> In terms of the organization of the content, I've never quite felt it we
> had right. I know there's been user vs developer and version vs not-version
> discussions in the past.
>
> I quite like the idea of the guide Gilberto has suggested below. If we
> followed that route, I'd still like to see it specific to a TomEE version.
> If it enabled us to provide a complete PDF for offline reading as well,
> that would be amazing. We probably have the content to produce a guide, but
> it would need some re-arranging from what's there I would imagine.
>
> Jon
>
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 1:24 PM gilbertoca <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > David Blevins-2 wrote
> > > There's an entire facet of this discussion we probably should be
> talking
> > > about which is how to deal with our heaps of content in various states
> of
> > > health; how did it get unhealthy, how do we deal with it, how do we
> > > prevent it, how do we encourage more contribution to main docs.
> > >
> > > I think any tool in the hands of someone willing to lead an effort to
> > > improve our main docs is a good tool.
> > >
> > > -David
> >
> > We could follow (again) apache friends and others [1] condensing all
> > relevant content in something like a User Guide or Reference Guide - that
> > would help the Maintenance and contribution. This organization can reduce
> > the tooling and it easy integrate(asciidoctor-maven-plugin?) in build
> > system[2].
> >
> > [1]
> > https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/java/index.html
> > https://ci.apache.org/projects/wicket/guide/8.x/single.html
> > https://beanvalidation.org/2.0/spec/
> > https://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/2.0/cdi-spec.html
> > https://shiro.apache.org/reference.html
> >
> > [2] https://asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoctor-maven-plugin/
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Gilberto
> >

> > --
> > Sent from:
> > http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

--
Daniel "soro" Cunha
https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: Draft Proposal for overall website direction

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by gilbertoca <gi...@gmail.com>.
David Blevins-2 wrote

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillermo García <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hilberto,

I have been following some David's ideas and I agree with him in the
direction of using Antora.  I consider Antora in a mature state to let us
manage the website efficiently. And I am not worried about learning a new
tool, even if it is jbake.

I don't want to open a difficult debate about which technology is the best,
but in the worst case is it possible to call a committee for a votation?
How the TomEE committers team defines which direction to take in these
cases?

Best,

Guillermo

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.