Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au> on 2012/01/04 07:18:36 UTC

Misleading information and link on openoffice.org home page

This marginally concerns marketing because the websites are major marketing tools and at present the home page provides misleading information.

I have been puzzled that the dev list recently received emails from users requesting help with the software or reporting issues.  Members of the list have, as expected, ignored such emails.

I believe I have discovered the origin of the problem.  It is the item at the top of the openoffice.org home page:

<quote>
www.openoffice.org is now hosted by the Apache Software Foundation

The website has migrated to infrastructure hosted by the Apache Software Foundation. Contact the Development Mailing List if you have questions or comments
</quote>

The item needs to be more specific, obviously.  Could someone please raise this on the dev list as that seems to be where this matter should be aired.  I am not subscribed to the dev list and my direct email did not get through.

Regards.

Re: Misleading information and link on openoffice.org home page

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
Thank you.

It is also in the interests of the dev list that it doesn't receive requests from users for help with the software and bug reports.  Perhaps I didn't mention that I am referring to the top item in the right sidebar of the home page.

Help with the software is the concern of the users' list and the forums.  There is a site for reporting issues and a one way issues mailing list.

Regards.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jan 4, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> I think there needs to be a specific page that users are guided to from the front porch of the site.  It should not ask them to choose among lists that they are not clear about.
>
> Also, if we direct questions to ooo-user, it needs to be clear that (1) the question post is going to be moderated and (2) unless they are subscribed instead, they won't see it and they might not see any response either.
>
> (One way to help with this is to provide a mailto: that adds a distinct subject that would let list readers know the message is from a non-subscriber.  I'm told of even better technical solutions that have responses to queries go back to unsubscribed posters of the original question.)
>
> Having devs kick back on user/support requests on ooo-dev and abruptly close what are likely support issues on bugzilla is not such a good thing; a non-dev-involving solution is needed.  Perhaps it is time to have an ooo-support@ list whose only subscribers are peer volunteers that refer requests to available FAQ, wikis, forums and other sources of guidance, including how to submit a researchable issue if that seems appropriate.  A form of first-line support, as it were.

I have prepared this change to the main page.

Note it says to join the users mailing or users forums. I'll push this change now. Feel free to adjust it, add a new landing on the podling site, alter the text on mailing-lists.mdtext, ...

Someone should JFDI. I've got to do other things.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jan 4, 2012, at 6:43 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:10 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Jan 3, 2012, at 10:18 PM, Terry wrote:
>>
>>> This marginally concerns marketing because the websites are major marketing tools and at present the home page provides misleading information.
>>>
>>> I have been puzzled that the dev list recently received emails from users requesting help with the software or reporting issues.  Members of the list have, as expected, ignored such emails.
>>>

>>> I believe I have discovered the origin of the problem.  It is the item at the top of the openoffice.org home page:
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> www.openoffice.org is now hosted by the Apache Software Foundation
>>>
>>> The website has migrated to infrastructure hosted by the Apache Software Foundation. Contact the Development Mailing List if you have questions or comments
>>> </quote>

>>> The item needs to be more specific, obviously.  Could someone please raise this on the dev list as that seems to be where this matter should be aired.  I am not subscribed to the dev list and my direct email did not get through.
>>
>> Where should users report these issues? If a case for a different list is made it is easy to change.
>>

> As a moderator for ooo-dev I've seen a big uptick in confused users
> trying to subscribe and then quickly unsubscribe when they realize the
> list is not what they expected.
>
> If we agree with the general intent of www.openoffice.org being the
> end-user focused website, while the podling apache.org site is the
> project-participant facing site, then I think general site questions
> should go to ooo-users.  That is our primary engagement with users.

We should switch and have users go to ooo-users mailing list.

http://www.openoffice.org change.

> But if the goal just to have the user report problems, but not for
> them to subscribe, then we could simply give the ooo-dev email address
> without the subscription info.  That might work well.  But I think we
> lead the average user down the wrong path if we encourage them to
> subscribe to ooo-dev just in order to report a website issue.

From the users mailing list section on the podling site offer an email to ooo-dev, bugzilla and user forums as alternatives.

Dave

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.