Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by herman <hj...@hetnet.nl> on 2007/03/01 13:05:19 UTC

Re: [SPAM] Fonts and copyrights

Warren Young wrote:

> herman wrote:
>>
>> Suppose i want to put some pdf files on the web, but these
>> include some characters from a special font (non-free).
>> Now i've been told that as long as not the entire font
>> is put in the pdf file, but only those characters that are used
>> in the document, then i won't violate the copyright.
>
> If you write a book, and I put a copy of chapter 12 on my web site, am I
> violating your copyright?
>
> Please read through these sites:
>
> 	http://fairuse.stanford.edu/
> 	http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
> 	http://www.copyright.gov/
>
>> 4. does anyone have some extra advice?
>
> Buy a font that allows embedding, or use truly free fonts.  No other
> option gives you the rights you seek.

Ok, clear.
Suppose i have a font that does allow me subset embedding in a pdf file,
but not full embedding. So far i have found out the following:
(I use FOP with CID-keyed embedding.)
Then, judging from the file sizes, it seems that that produces subset
embedding
(many more symbols = much larger files).
But the Adobe Reader properties suggest that it's full embedding.

Who can clearify this mystery?

Regards,
Herman