Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by a....@dedication.nl on 2003/04/28 14:27:32 UTC

Problems starting up Tomcat 4.1

Hi,

I'm a newbie when it comes to this, so please bear with me.
I want to test an application which needs Tomcat and a Database.
As one of the engineers of the applications explained to me, I first need to install a Database, then the Java SDK, then Tomcat and then the application. The application BTW, is Intraline, a groupware application.

So far, I have installed the mysSQL database, and the latest  Java SDK.
(Packages SUNWj3dev, SUNWj3dmo, SUNWj3man and sSUNWj3rt)
I have downloaded  Tomcat and tried to start it up. I've set the variables CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME. The system responds with the following output:

root@nlastst1 > ./startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/j2se

When I check, I don't see any tomcat-related proces running ? What am I doing wrong ?
I am installing the software on a SUN box under Solaris 8.

TIA,

Andy Kannberg

Re: Problems starting up Tomcat 4.1

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Check $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out for more info when you do a startup.

Also, what do you mean by "tomcat-related process running"?  You won't see
any processes named "tomcat" or anything like that.  On Solaris 8, what you
will see is something like this:

bash-2.03$ ps -ef |grep java
  tomcat  1303     1  0   Apr 02 ?       47:05
/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1_01/bin/java -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/local/jakarta-
tomca

Also, on startup, try:

bash-2.03$ $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run

Instead of startup.sh to see info directly on the screen, like error
messages on startup, etc.

Without more info, there isn't really much we can do to help.

John