Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark <ga...@sbcglobal.net> on 2003/01/18 21:48:20 UTC

Game server - two player board game

Hi, I'm using Tomcat 4.1 to set up a game server for the two player board game, Tanbo (similar to Go). Basically, I will be providing one board and a waiting list, and a chat.

I need advice on how to set up the object architecture. I'm considering using an int array to represent the board. And possibly a separate class to evaluate legal moves.

I need advice on security, persistence, thread safety and anything else that I might need to know to make this a successful web site (tanbo.com).

Thanks in advance.

Mark Steere
gardener@sbcglobal.net

[OT] RE: Game server - two player board game

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
You might want to look that the wildtangent driver.  It's not necessarily
made for multiplayer games, but we wrote an implementation in there that
worked with a servlet.

www.wildtangent.com

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 12:48:20PM -0800, Mark wrote:
> > Hi, I'm using Tomcat 4.1 to set up a game server for the two player
> > board game, Tanbo (similar to Go). Basically, I will be providing one
> > board and a waiting list, and a chat.
> >
> > I need advice on how to set up the object architecture. I'm
> > considering using an int array to represent the board. And possibly a
> > separate class to evaluate legal moves.
> >
> > I need advice on security, persistence, thread safety and anything
> > else that I might need to know to make this a successful web site
> > (tanbo.com).

>      You might be better off asking for help at javagaming.org,
> gamedev.net, or possibly rec.games.programmer.  Javagaming.org used to
> have a mailing list, but it appears they've dispensed with that in
> favor of a forums system on the website (frankly, I miss the mailing
> list).  The Java3D-interest@java.sun.com mailing list is fairly active
> and (oddly enough) game programming oriented, so they might be able to
> help you out.

Thanks a lot for the link - I've tried several times to write online games,
and have never got a project off the ground because I don't
have clue about architecture.

Re: Game server - two player board game

Posted by Rasputin <ra...@idoru.mine.nu>.

Posted by "Steven J. Owens" <pu...@darksleep.com>.
On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 12:48:20PM -0800, Mark wrote:
> Hi, I'm using Tomcat 4.1 to set up a game server for the two player
> board game, Tanbo (similar to Go). Basically, I will be providing one
> board and a waiting list, and a chat.
>
> I need advice on how to set up the object architecture. I'm
> considering using an int array to represent the board. And possibly a
> separate class to evaluate legal moves.
>
> I need advice on security, persistence, thread safety and anything
> else that I might need to know to make this a successful web site
> (tanbo.com).

     You might be better off asking for help at javagaming.org,
gamedev.net, or possibly rec.games.programmer.  Javagaming.org used to
have a mailing list, but it appears they've dispensed with that in
favor of a forums system on the website (frankly, I miss the mailing
list).  The Java3D-interest@java.sun.com mailing list is fairly active
and (oddly enough) game programming oriented, so they might be able to
help you out.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - Me at http://darksleep.com

Re: Game server - two player board game [OT]

Posted by Jason Pyeron <ja...@pyeron.com>.
Mark,

This is really off topic, but here it goes.

You have two tasks at hand:

1: specify / create backend [business] logic
2: specify / create frontend UI

If you design the backend in a bean architecture, the
threading/persistance issues should be non-existant or obvious at least.

as far as security you will have to define how much is enough.

for mild paranoia:

 ssl login page
 hashed passwords used
 one login at a time allowed

if you would like more on architecture, please mail me off list.

-jason pyeron

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Mark wrote:

Hi, I'm using Tomcat 4.1 to set up a game server for the two player board game, Tanbo (similar to Go). Basically, I will be providing one board and a waiting list, and a chat.

I need advice on how to set up the object architecture. I'm considering using an int array to represent the board. And possibly a separate class to evaluate legal moves.

I need advice on security, persistence, thread safety and anything else that I might need to know to make this a successful web site (tanbo.com).

Thanks in advance.

Mark Steere
gardener@sbcglobal.net

-                                                               -
- Jason Pyeron                   http://www.pyerotechnics.com   -
- Owner & Lead                  Pyerotechnics Development, Inc. -
- +1 410 808 6646 (c)           500 West University Parkway #1S -
- +1 410 467 2266 (f)           Baltimore, Maryland  21210-3253 -
-                                                               -

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
notify the sender immediately.  Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.

RE: Game server - two player board game

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
Usually, when speed is at stake, you would want to represent the board as a
2D array.  For example you can write tic-tac-toe w/ AI in only a page of
code.  If you are talking about applet->servlet communication or pseudo
object RMI, then you might want to pick up  "Java Developers Guide to
Servlets and JSP" by Brogden pub. SYBEX.  He has a whole chapter on applet
and servlet communication.

Jacob