Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Julián H <ju...@hotmail.com> on 2002/02/26 11:50:14 UTC

Torque and Cardinality: proposal to add to Torque 2.2

Hi all... it occurred to me that it would really make sense to add a
cardinality rule into the Torque system. it could be at its most basic
implementation an optional attribute of a foreign-key tag:

<foreign-key ... cardinality="cardinalityNumber".../>

where cardinalityNumber is one of:

oneToOne
oneToMany
zeroToOne
zeroToMany

Having simple text strings like this make it easy to implement and it's
quite readable and also easy to validate in the DTD. Of course if you wanted
to go hog wild, you could use more conventional UML cardinality symbols:

1..1
1..*
0..1
0..*

This latter way makes away for ranges, which are less common but could be
very useful as well (1..2, etc).

No, which way around would it be?

The check code for this would be in the form of assertions:
org.apache.torque.[subsomething i guess].CardinalityException.

Comments anyone? I could imagine it's a pretty easy feature to add, and
well-worth on the balance of effort required to add it. I'd volunteer to see
if I can sneak it into Torque 2.2...