Posted to community@apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/10/26 15:38:03 UTC

[VOTE] Open this list

Three views exist presently on this list's "openness".  The purpose of
this list is to fascillitate community development among the various
disconneted groups in Apache.  Then to further discuss issues that
affect the community as a whole.

View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
the archive
View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
(highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
such as MARC, etc.
View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.

View 1: +1 Sam, Steven Noles
View 2: +1 Andy
View 3: +1 Ken

Andy:
I'd like to protect the list from random posters.  If a user or someone
wants to get in, then fine let them in if they have something to
contribute, but this will prevent someone posting a random "Gee how do I
use tomcat" or "here is what you should do but I have never and will
never contribute to apache in any realy sense of the word" posts that
often degrade the quality of the list.  This will also help prevent a
personal experience of mine from repeating itself when I first tried to
get involved, where I posted a simple question and got flamed without
ever knowing the context rhyme or reasons...

Please state your view and vote your conscience.

-Andy

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive
> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.
> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.
>
> View 1: +1 Sam, Steven Noles

-0

> View 2: +1 Andy

-1.

> View 3: +1 Ken

+1 For the same reasons fitz posted on reorg, see
or reorg-get.1339_1339@apache.org

> Please state your view and vote your conscience.

michael
--
Michael A. Smith
mas@apache.org

Re: [NOMINATION] Morgan Delagrange for ASF Membership

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:50:58PM -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> I hereby nominate Morgan Delagrange for ASF Membership.

I do not believe this belongs on a public mailing list.

-aaron

[NOMINATION] Morgan Delagrange for ASF Membership

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
I hereby nominate Morgan Delagrange for ASF Membership.

Morgan has been a committer since December of 2000 on a number of
Jakarta subprojects, including taglibs, commons, and watchdog.  However,
his coding efforts don't begin to capture his contributions efforts to
the ASF - he was amongst the first to suggest the need for what became
jakarta-commons, and contributed significantly to the charter thereof.
He has also contributed significantly to the documentation of the
processes that committers in these respective codebases are following.
His contributions to general project discussions are frequent and
constructive.

Any current ASF member care to second this nomination?

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 06:38, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive

+1

> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.

+0

> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.

-1

Costin

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive
> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.
> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.
>
> View 1: +1 Sam, Steven Noles

+0

> View 2: +1 Andy

+1

> View 3: +1 Ken

-0

> Please state your view and vote your conscience.

- Leo Simons

Re: Why aren't they committers? (was: [VOTE] Open this list)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> Ouch!  Yes.  Ever notice how many of your typos end up being amazingly
> close to keywords in programming languages that you happen to use...

++1 - just no one end an argument with fi or esac ;-)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> > did you mean 'clashes'?  just want to make sure, since it changes the
> > meaning a little.. :-)
>
> Ouch!  Yes.  Ever notice how many of your typos end up being amazingly
> close to keywords in programming languages that you happen to use...

indeed.  a customer support friend told me about an oddball request
from a customer: to *remove* a word from the system dictionary.
they carefully spell-checked the announcement they were sending
to 25'000 people, and found no errors -- so blithely invited all those
people to a 'pubic auction'.

'we have *no need* for the word pubic in our dictionary!' said the
customer.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Why aren't they committers? (was: [VOTE] Open this list)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> There are going to be culture classes as we try to move towards becoming
> one big happy family.

did you mean 'clashes'?  just want to make sure, since it changes the
meaning a little.. :-)

> Most of it is due to ingrained assumptions that
> we have all built up over long periods of time.  My aim is to actively
> seek them  out and surface them for all of us to inspect, discuss, and
> learn from.

+1
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Why aren't they committers? (was: [VOTE] Open this list)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> Why do non-committers care about how Apache is evolving? And if they care so
> much why aren't they committers?

There are going to be culture classes as we try to move towards becoming
one big happy family.  Most of it is due to ingrained assumptions that
we have all built up over long periods of time.  My aim is to actively
seek them  out and surface them for all of us to inspect, discuss, and
learn from.

Peter, take a moment and glance at
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html.  Search for "Apache
Developers".

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 23:38, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Three views exist presently on this list's "openness".  The purpose of
> this list is to fascillitate community development among the various
> disconneted groups in Apache.  Then to further discuss issues that
> affect the community as a whole.
>
> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive
> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.
> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.

+1

Why do non-committers care about how Apache is evolving? And if they care so
much why aren't they committers?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
 Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence...

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>* On 2002-10-26 at 10:05,
>  Andrew C. Oliver <ac...@apache.org> excited the electrons to say:
>

>>View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.
>>

>i think that's a bit more negatively stated than necessary.  try:
>
>'allow posting by committers, members, and invitees, and restrict
>access to the archives to the subscribers.'
>
>something that just occurred to me: this ends up being less
>approaching my intent than i thought, since even committers and
>members won't be able to see the archives unless they're
>subscribed.  *that's* certainly not what i want to see happen.

No I meant a public web archive not the el-crappola email interface that
just stresses me out to use.  (we can subscribe an archive on a case by
case basis ;-) )

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>i think that's a bit more negatively stated than necessary.  try:
>
>'allow posting by committers, members, and invitees, and restrict
>access to the archives to the subscribers.'

totally agree.  I'm suprised. Thats not the kind of tactic I usually see
from Craig :-(

Apache Community (was Re: [VOTE] Open this list)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
James Cox wrote:

 > Whilst i agree with Sam -- we do have to be open -- we're still a
 > closed foundation, one that benefits from it's meritocracy of
 > interested experts.

I sincerely compliment you on your courage, honesty and ability to
clearly state this.  Many people would avoid actually making that
statement.  Kudos.

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

 > Interestingly, this vote also helps crystalize who we think the
 > "Apache community" really is.

Now, take a look at the description of users on
http://www.apache.org/foundation/roles.html

For that matter, take a look at the last five words of the first
paragraph of http://www.apache.org/

Sam Ruby wrote:
 > There are going to be culture [clashes] as we try to move towards
 > becoming one big happy family.  Most of it is due to ingrained
 > assumptions that we have all built up over long periods of time.  My
 > aim is to actively seek them out and surface them for all of us to
 > inspect, discuss, and learn from.

As applied here, I would like us to come to a common understanding of
what the term "Apache community" means, and make the name of this
mailing list, the access policies thereof, and the usage of these terms
on our public website (in particular prominent ones, like the ones I
cited above) consistent with this common understanding.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
James Cox wrote:

>>From: Rodent of Unusual Size [mailto:Ken.Coar@Golux.Com]
>>* On 2002-10-26 at 10:05,
>>  Andrew C. Oliver <ac...@apache.org> excited the electrons to say:
>>

>>>View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.
>>>

>>i think that's a bit more negatively stated than necessary.  try:
>>
>>'allow posting by committers, members, and invitees, and restrict
>>access to the archives to the subscribers.'
>>
>>something that just occurred to me: this ends up being less
>>approaching my intent than i thought, since even committers and
>>members won't be able to see the archives unless they're
>>subscribed.  *that's* certainly not what i want to see happen.
>>

>+1.

+1.

Vadim

RE: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by James Cox <im...@php.net>.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
* On 2002-10-26 at 10:05,

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive

+1

> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.

+1

> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.

-0

I think public accessibility is a good thing. I think the concerns of some
people about view 1 is the possibility of a low S/N. OTOH, I don't think
that has been a problem for lists such as general@jakarta so I'd be inclined
to go with view 1.

Conor

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Saturday, October 26, 2002 9:38 AM -0400 "Andrew C. Oliver"
<ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and
> read the archive

-1.

> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers,
> members and invitees (highly contributive developers and users) so
> far as posting goes, however allow anyone to read or view the
> archive (and include an archive such as MARC, etc.

-0.

> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.

+1.  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> View 1: +1 Sam, Steven Noles
>

> aaargh - you did it again :-)
>
> that's Steven-with-a-traling-n (first name) Noels (last name,
> pronounced  like 'news' in English, but then with an 'L' instead ;-)
>
> </Steven>

Sorry.. I'm from Florida oringally..  I keep thinking of you as a
football player!  :-)
I will try not to do this.  But please feel free to mis-spell my name in
revenge.  A popular European
misspelling is Andi Olive.

-Andy

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
>        the archive.

+1

>View 2: Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
>        (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting
>        goes, however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and
>        include an archive such as MARC, etc.

+0

>View 3: Allow posting by committers, members, and invitees, and restrict
>        access to the archives to the subscribers.

-1

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:

> I changed my vote to open it completely.  or just +1 on that too.  I
> favor medium access to closed completely for sure as I freaking hate the
> ezmlm archives (minimum readability)...

we have closed lists in the foundation that have other means of access
than the ezmlm archives, if that's the only reason you changed your
vote.  and providing some sort of limited eyebrowse-like browsability
is on several people's to-do lists, i think.

of course, if you changed your vote based on the philosophical rather
than the technical issue, <be persona="roseann rosanna-danna">'never mind'</be>.

> I believe we agreed to wait 72 hours...

sorry, i was unclear.  by no means did i mean that the collation should
be considered final; not at all.  rather, i was collecting the votes *so
far*.  and since all committers should have access to the committers module,
you (and others) can change your vote in the file.  it was meant just as
a here's-how-things-stand-so-far, not a and-here-are-the-results.

sorry..
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Thom May <th...@apache.org>.
* Greg Stein (gstein@lyra.org) wrote :
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 09:38:03AM -0400, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> > View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> > the archive
>
> -1
>
> > View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> > (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> > however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> > such as MARC, etc.
>
> +0
>
> > View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.
>
> +1
>
> We need a forum for the ASF to discuss itself without worrying about the
> viewing public.

+1

-Thom

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 09:38:03AM -0400, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive

-1

> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.

+0

> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.

+1

We need a forum for the ASF to discuss itself without worrying about the
viewing public.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@apache.org>.
> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive

-1

> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.

+1

0

--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> writes:

[...]

> Please state your view

Excerpts from Stephano Mazzocchi's announcement:

[...]

This mail list will be closed to committers only, the citizens of the
Apache Software Foundation, and will serve as the place to talk about
the future of the foundation.

[...]

If you wished there was more synergy between the various ASF
communities, show us how you'd make it happening.

On community@apache.org is where discussions about new projects
creations (like Apache Commons, Apache Incubator, Apache Graveyard) will
take place.

community@apache.org will be where the 'architecture', the 'development'
of the foundation itself is done.

[...]

So, we give you the opportunity to participate in the making of the
future of the foundation, but no complaints will be accepted if what
comes up doesn't fit your needs or doesn't make you happy and you didn't
participate in its process.

I don't see how any of the above is better accomplished
by opening up this list.

> and vote your conscience.

I would have preferred to see discussion of a PROPOSAL to subvert
Stephano's announcement, but maybe I missed that discussion.

> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive

-1

> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.

-0

Re: idiot.html

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
And I'll be using Sam as a human blast shield ;-)

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Okay, it was funny the first time, but now it's REALLY FUNNY!

/me is laughing so hard he's nearly in tears

--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>

Re: idiot.html

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
James Taylor wrote:

>>>As long as 'professional' != stodgy then okay.  But I'll let *you*
>>>remove it while I stand behind Sam and use him as a blast shield.  (who
>>>mentioned he'd be standing right behind you farrrr behind you)
>>>

>>With all due respect, you might be safer standing behind Jon than
>>Sam.  What's the point of local governance if the governing bodies
>>are incapable of dealing with trivial issues like this one?
>>

>Um, we have dealt with it. Quite easily in fact. Solution: No one cares
>enough to change it.
>
>( Frankly I agree that it is not the most professional thing, but if it
>goes away the hotheads will just find another way to piss people off.
>We're a pretty eccentric community, cope. )

more adequately put...  Don't sweat the small things.  I mean geesh its
just a little page that someone can send if need be.

If someone cares SOoooo much and is willing to deal with the
reprocussions, go for it.  Perhaps asking him to move it to his ~jon
pages would be appropriate.  However I think having a long thread on
this is probably more than its worth myself....but I'm a man man so what
do I know ;-)

Re: idiot.html

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@4lane.com>.

Re: love.html

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
10/29/2002 8:24:38 AM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>
wrote:
>With all due respect, you might be safer standing behind Jon
>than Sam.  What's the point of local governance if the
>governing bodies are incapable of dealing with trivial issues
>like this
>one?

Joe, we're kidding. =:0)

As mentioned, elsewhere, if you'd like to submit a patch, I'd
be happy to apply it. But the page is not linked through the
site. It's apparently something Jon mailed to people.

Jon always did a lot of work on the Jakarta site, so personally
I cut him a lot of slack. He did the work, and so he made the
decisions. When I do the work, I  make the decisions, and if
someone doesn't like what I do, they can post their
alternative, and the community can choose between them.

If you disagree with the wording of this page, then its up to
*you* to do the work of providing an alternative. Assuming that
its less offensive than the original, having the karma, I'd be
happy to post your patch.

-Ted.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iprimus.com.au>.

>there is one particular flame war that i remember. someone asked a tomcat
>question. i quite politely offered a possible solution but told them to
>ask on the tomcat list since that's where all the experts hang out. this
>descended quickly into a hideous flame war.

Since moving general@ down to the bottom of the list we get much fewer
postings from people asking about tomcat.  Small changes can make a big
difference.

Regards,

Glen

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> but i'm not sure how much more can be done. the lists are so busy that
> they have to be policed.
>
> it'd be a good idea to come up with some better solutions. maybe we
> could increase the size of the email footers

Is it technically possible to add *headers* instead of increasing
footers? Even one liner such as "You are reading general-jakarta mailing
list (rules are _here_)" will help (imho).

Vadim

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> writes:

> one of the continual battles we've had at jakarta is policing the
> mailing list and general in particular.
>
> people wanting to join a mailing list from the jakarta list have to go
> through two pages to get the actual lists in order to try to reduce
> the need for people to police the list guidelines. but this doesn't
> seem to be enough. we still get people posting who haven't taken the
> time or effort to read what's been created to help them.
>
> jon started taking a lot of the responsibility for policing very soon
> after the change from java@apache to jakarta@apache. he started off
> with elan and humour but over the years his responses got shorter and
> more curt as it became a chore. hence the jon.html which had to be
> used when people took it too personally.
>
> one problem which has become apparent over the last year or so is that
> jakarta lists are very widely mirrored - including onto news. this
> means that people post to our lists never having read the list
> guidelines or (as has happened in a couple of cases) not even
> realizing that they are on a mailing list.

Thanks alot for taking the time to dispassionately explain
the situation *such as it is*.  It's exactly the kind of answer
I was hoping for.  Unfortunately I don't know what sort of magic
is required to make everybody happy, but I do know there are other
online developer communities that have experienced similar growing
pains.

It might not hurt to survey some prior art; IME perl's p5p
developer list is exceptionally well-managed.  I don't have
first-hand experience with the php developer community, but
from my distant vantage point, they seem to be managing their
growth pretty well (at least angst-free).

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: idiot.html

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
[...]

the poster had no idea that he was on a list with rules and took it as a
personal insult that i'd suggested that he should read the rules and take
his question elsewhere. i am of the opinion that life's too short to waste
talking to people like that and so i left him to rot but unfortunately his
replies were so strongly worded that he drew the collective wrath of the
jakarta community down upon his head. he didn't have the good sense to
stop arguing and the flame war went on for several days with numerous
posts. until finally he quite vocally quit the list.

this is the context in which to understand (and judge) love.html and idiot.
html. they are informative and offensive. posting one of those urls to
someone who is out of line on a list is a very effective way of policing.
it is also very harsh. i personally think that people deserve a chance and
that strong responses lead to other people being too frightened to post.

but i'm not sure how much more can be done. the lists are so busy that
they have to be policed.

it'd be a good idea to come up with some better solutions. maybe we could
increase the size of the email footers so that it'd be more obvious that

RE: idiot.html

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Kurt Schrader wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Ted Husted wrote:
>

>>10/29/2002 6:33:40 AM, Rodent of Unusual Size
>><Ke...@Golux.Com> wrote:
>>

>>>ha, ha.  i see the humour.  however, someone seeing that on an
>>>official apache web site is going to think it represents the
>>>overall apache viewpoint. i personally don't particularly care
>>>to be labelled by it. should the apache web sites contain
>>>'professional' (as in >'professionalism') content?  if so,
>>>does this page apply?
>>>

>>Ah, well, it's not visible. None of the other pages link to it.
>>I'm guessing Jon mailed people the URL as a list moderator.
>>

>For further reference you might also want to check out:
>http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jon.html

Nice shades!

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Kurt Schrader <ks...@karmalab.org>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
<Ke...@Golux.Com> wrote:
>ha, ha.  i see the humour.  however, someone seeing that on an
>official apache web site is going to think it represents the
>overall apache viewpoint. i personally don't particularly care
>to be labelled by it. should the apache web sites contain
>'professional' (as in >'professionalism') content?  if so,
>does this page apply?

Ah, well, it's not visible. None of the other pages link to it.
I'm guessing Jon mailed people the URL as a list moderator.

If it were linked to something, I'd change it in a heartbeat.
But since I don't know what it is actually for, I've just left
it alone =:)

But if anyone wants to submit a patch, I'd be happy to apply
it.

Hopefully, lists like this will help expose us to a greater
number of other Apaches, so we can getter a better sense of the
community view. At Jakarta, the kindler/gentler ASF Members,
like Sam and Craig, sometimes seem like the minority.

-Ted.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> > As I said before, Jon is unique.
>
> I hope he is a Apache member!

You bet.

Jon, Pier and I were nominated by Brian Behlendorf in 1999 and where the
first three committers coming from the java world that later became
jakarta/xml

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Sam Ruby wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> I like the love.html alternative - is embrassing, more depth, warmth,
>> and has a level of empathy that somehow get's lost in the other
>> document.
>>
>> Cheers, Steve.
>>
>> :-D
>

> FYI:
>
> [rubys@daedalus site]$ls -l love.*
> lrwxrwxr-x  1 jon  jakarta  10 Jul 17 09:47 love.html -> idiot.html

Yes - I had figured this out - but the context set's the tone - start of
with idiot and your on the offensive and every word is offensive.  Start
of with love and your context changes.  Hense the deep and meaninful
nature of the second version!

;-)

> As I said before, Jon is unique.

I hope he is a Apache member!

Steve.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
The Jakarta website is managed by lazy consensus. If any of us
working on the site actually took issue with that page, we'd
just change it. I've often toned down some of the pages posted
by our favorite PITA -- and have even been called a "wimp" for
doing so. But no one's ever reverted my changes afterwards.

-Ted.

10/28/2002 7:54:41 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>
wrote:

>Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> writes:
>

>> It has been pointed out that Jakarta committers have had
very little
>> exposure to ASF members.  Don't judge Jakarta committers by
the
>> actions of the few ASF members that have cared enough to
participate.

>I'm not judging the jakarta committers, certainly not
negatively.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:

> For the sake of argument, you may assume I have looked at
> every document in the http://jakarta.apache.org/site/
> directory.  If you don't see what I'm driving at yet, I
> encourage you to post the url of a similar document anywhere
> else in the ASF (outside of the jakarta family, of course).

Careful.  As I have been saying before, there are multiple ways to look
at these things.

It has been pointed out that Jakarta committers have had very little
exposure to ASF members.  Don't judge Jakarta committers by the actions
of the few ASF members that have cared enough to participate.  Like Jon.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

RE: idiot.html

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.

Re: idiot.html

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Re: idiot.html Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:

>>http://jakarta.apache.org/site/idiot.html
>
> What is the point of that url?  Do other ASF projects (php?)
> have similar links on their support site?

No, I think that's unique.

It is a long story, and has everything to do with one individual.  You
can read more about that individual here:

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

[...]

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive

I see people voting 2 instead of 1 because of the presumed noise that
would be appear if non-committers/members/pmc'ers/board'ers would be
allowed on that list (i.e. 'users', 'supporters', 'evangelists' ... ;-)

Please bear in mind that community@ is not about specific projects nor
technology, that it (yet) doesn't carry the connotation general@ has,
and that general@jakarta has been able to live through the infrequent
'help-i-don't-know-how-to-start-tomcat' question. Maybe it would be
showing off our community skills if we have a list where our users and
ourselves (the ASF'ers, whatever that means) can meet without fearing a
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/idiot.html link ;-)

Also, please remember that one _has_ to subscribe - an initial burden
that filters out the utter clueless people, I believe.

</Steven>

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive
> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.
> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.
>
> View 1: +1 Sam, Steven Noles
> View 2: +1 Andy
> View 3: +1 Ken

For the record, I ameanable to both views one and two.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 09:38:03AM -0400, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Three views exist presently on this list's "openness".  The purpose of
> this list is to fascillitate community development among the various
> disconneted groups in Apache.  Then to further discuss issues that
> affect the community as a whole.

View 1: +1 Sam, Steven Noels, Jeff Turner
View 2: +1 Andy
View 3: +1 Ken

> Please state your view and vote your conscience.

It hasn't been a problem on general@jakarta (even with the misleading
name), so I don't see why it should be a problem here.  IMHO the risk is
worth taking, because the principle behind it (openness *and* perceived
openness) is very important.

--Jeff

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>>View 1: +1 Sam, Steven Noles
>>View 2: +1 Andy
>>

>+1
>
>I see no reason to not have an open archive, but am fine with the list
>being restricted, with exceptions on a case by case basis (although for
>every exception I'm inclined to ask, so why isn't this valuable
>contributor a committer? Oh yes, that can of worms again...)

What I had in mind most of all was a "soon to be a committer" developer,
but I tried to open up to other designs as well.  My thought may be more
attached to the POI project, where greater selectivity is required in
allowing committers.  Basically most people who can do this kind of work
do C not Java, and most Java programmers take some time learning the
black arts of CVS, etc.  We also have learned unit tests are essential.
 So our developer incubation stage is expanding not contracting and the
project has been getting more and more publicity and the Word port is
finally heating up (it just takes time to demystify and convince people
"yes we can" and let them come to the realization that Microsoft brand
brain teasers are the best and most fun in the world!  It takes people
to realize that these brain teasers are the best/most fun time waster
since Sid Meyer's Civilization and the spawned series/project
www.freeciv.org...No I'm not sick! ;-)).  So we are likely to have a set
of "soon to be" committers developers signing on.  This is somewhat
forward-looking on my part, but thats my purpose, not the "people who
should be committers but aren't" case.

-Andy

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@4lane.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org> writes:

[ ] View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
    the archive
[X] View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:12, Ted Husted wrote:
> IMHO, View 3 should be accomplished by allowing Committers on
> the Members list. A stepping stone to that might be to apply
> View 2 to the Members list and let a Member request that a
> Committer be given access. This could be a precursor to
> inviting someone to join the ASF.

Isn't this just moving things around. Will someone then have to create a
members-private list?

There needs to be areas where people can talk without fear of retribution or
people will just take to not using the public lists or not talking about
reservations they have for certain actions.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
 The fact that nobody understands you doesn't
 mean you're an artist.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
View 1: +1
View 2: +0
View 3: -1

Totally opt-in, public archive on Nagoya, announced on
Committers and Members.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Interestingly, this vote also helps crystalize who we think the "Apache
> community" really is.

+1

-Sam Ruby

RE: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
I'm unable to assimilate this list *and* reorg on top of everything else, but Craig's point is a good one, so in deference to both of the above

+0

d.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>Euh... how about giving the vote more than 24 hours? Vote taking should
>preferably be given about 72 hours. There are always cases where it needs to
>be shortened, but this isn't one of them.
>
>Cheers,
>-g

<impatient-sigh/>

Okay ;-)  *foot tapping....clock watching* ;-)

-Andy

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 13:28, David Crossley wrote:
> On a related issue, i am having trouble finding any docs
> about voting procedures for the Apache community.

Goto http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guidelines.html and then lookup the
"Decision Process" link

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue.  Those of us who
 aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might
 think we're stupid." -- Jules Feiffer

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Greg Stein wrote:
>  Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> > Okay.  Sam and others have convinced me. .  though I reserve the right
> > to taunt you all when the J.D.s enter and we have too much goofiness
> >  (more than I cause that is ;-) )
> >
> > lets open it up and see what happens.  if havoc is wreaked its
> > correctable so I change my vote to +1 for all open.  I think thats the
> > forming consensus so lets wrap this up in the next day or so and just do
> > it.  Then some karma blessed person should update the "site".
>
> Euh... how about giving the vote more than 24 hours? Vote taking should
> preferably be given about 72 hours. There are always cases where it needs to
> be shortened, but this isn't one of them.

The planet had not even rotated half-way around. The "vote"
started at 23:30 last night Australian time. I got my mail
early on Sunday morning and some are saying that it is over.
?

Sorry, i trust that my next statement is not too disruptive,
but it is important to get things straight early, hence ...

I think that this vote may not have followed decent procedures.

We were asked on a Friday to wait until the subscriber base
of "community" had built and fade out on "reorg". One of the
first threads on the list is a vote!

I was under the impression that a clear [PROPOSAL} is discussed
first to formulate the intent of a vote. The options that are
arrived at during that thread are then clearly stated by the
originator of the proposal in a subsequent ]VOTE] thread.

This vote was too rushed. I see people voting +1 on two
options, and others trying to re-write the options to be
clearer on what is being voted for.

On a related issue, i am having trouble finding any docs
about voting procedures for the Apache community.
--David

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> writes:

> Interestingly, this vote also helps crystalize who we think the
> "Apache community" really is.  And, IMHO, any open source developer
> community that tries to ignore users of its products is going to
> become insular and self absorbed.

But users of Apache products have a place to talk about those products
to their heart's content on the lists for those products or projects.

> > View 2: Keep the list open only to committers, members and
> > invitees (highly contributive developers and users) so far as
> > posting goes, however allow anyone to read or view the archive
> > (and include an archive such as MARC, etc.
>
> +0 with archives, -1 without archives.

+1 - with the official "apache mailing list archives" (ok, my turn to
sound like a broken record - in one week I will have more time and
will try and spend some time helping).

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Three views exist presently on this list's "openness".  The purpose of
> this list is to fascillitate community development among the various
> disconneted groups in Apache.  Then to further discuss issues that
> affect the community as a whole.

Interestingly, this vote also helps crystalize who we think the "Apache
community" really is.  And, IMHO, any open source developer community that
tries to ignore users of its products is going to become insular and self
absorbed.

> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive

+1

> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.

+0 with archives, -1 without archives.

(I'm not interested in anything anyone has to say on this topic that
they're not willing to have publicly archived.)

> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.

-1

Craig McClanahan

RE: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
> View 1: +1 Sam, Steven Noles

-1.  This is like having a 'world' list.  Chances are good
that the signal/noise ratio will be quite bad.

> View 2: +1 Andy

-0.9

> View 3: +1 Ken

+1.

Sander

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
On Saturday, October 26, 2002, at 06:38 AM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive

-1.

+1 if everyone currently squabbling on other ASF lists (and not about
dev issues) agrees to come here to do it.

> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an
> archive such as MARC, etc.

+1. If we feel we need more contact with our users, maybe we should be
subscribing to the user@ lists, getting on IRC or the newsgroups once in
awhile, reading the bug reports, or talking to users at conferences.

> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.

-1. That's how we got here, isn't it?

Chuck

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 08:48:04AM -0600, B. W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> "Bill Stoddard" <bi...@wstoddard.com> writes:
> > > View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.
>
> > This is not much different from committers@apache.org. (yea, I
> > probably misse d the post explaining why they are different).
>
> committers@apache.org is not an opt-in list--every committer is
> automagically subscribed to it. It is meant only for important
> announcements that need to be sent to all committers.

And they're resubscribed if they unsubscribe themselves :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

RE: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
> View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read
> the archive
+1

> View 2:  Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees
> (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes,
> however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive
> such as MARC, etc.
+0

> View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.
This is not much different from committers@apache.org. (yea, I probably missed
the post explaining why they are different).

Bill

Re: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Thats view 3.  (the ezmlm archive is of course always available)

RE: [VOTE] Open this list

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.