Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net> on 2003/04/09 15:32:12 UTC

total newbie problems

I've tried to use the Java Standard Tag Library (JSTL) from
jakarta. I've tried deploying the "out of the box" example
wars that should contain all I need, on Tomcat 4.1 and
on JBoss-3.04_Tomcat-4.1.12

In both cases on deployment I get massive errors. Eg, with JBoss:-

10:35:14,937 ERROR [Digester] Parse Warning at line 3 column -1: Valid documents must have a <!DOCTYPE declaration.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Valid documents must have a <!DOCTYPE declaration.
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.warning(Parser2.java:3148)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Parser2.java:491)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parse(Parser2.java:305)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.parse(XMLReaderImpl.java:442)

I've tried changing the .tld tag library files to have doctypes etc, but I get more
parsing errors. Has anyone had these errors or does anyone know if this is a
servlet container issue? On what containers do people know that the example
app works?

thanks,
Brian

Re: total newbie problems

Posted by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net>.
Hi Dave,
Only the JSTL is giving me problems.
Brian

Re: total newbie problems

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@solaraccess.com>.

problem when running i18n example

Posted by Raimo Manninen <ra...@psycon.fi>.
I tried to run i18n example. When I view 'Message Tags Example Page' first
time it seems to work.

Problem occurs when I go back to index page and change locale and go again
to 'Message Tags Example Page'. Localized messages are shown with the same
locale than was selected on first time.

I'm running tomcat/Linux. This problem don't occur under Windows/Tomcat.

Thanks for help,

Raimo Manninen

Re: total newbie problems

Posted by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net>.
Hi Kris,
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded and installed TC 4.1.24.
I copied the standard-examples.war to the webapps folder
but unfortunately I'm still getting deploy errors.

SEVERE: Parse Error at line 6 column 19: Document root element "taglib",
must ma
tch DOCTYPE root "null".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document root element "taglib", must match
DOCTYP
E root "null".

Perhaps you could tell me what jdk you have.
thanks for your help,
Brian

Posted by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net>.
ps - the errors occur when you look at the tomcat
start console. Also, if you try to run any of the examples
or look at the source code they give exceptions.

Re: how can this bug continue to exist in the taglib?

Posted by Pierre Delisle <Pi...@Sun.COM>.
Will wrote:
> Is development on the dbtags stopped?
> cause this is an easy to replicate bug, and a real show stopper.

I think we'll have to augment our pool of committers if we
want to keep maintaining these tag libraries.

Would JSTL be an option for you? It has a full series of
sql tags that were inspired by dbtag and have been standardized
by the JCP process.

    -- Pierre

[Also, anyone active in the list interested in becoming a committer
for jakarta-taglibs?]

Re: total newbie problems

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.

Re: total newbie problems