Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2003/06/12 07:54:14 UTC

Re: TeX to PDF serializator (ExternalProcessSerializer?)

Le Jeudi, 12 juin 2003, à 03:49 Europe/Zurich, Conal Tuohy a écrit :

> ...In any case - isn't TeX a text format? If so then a well-formed XML
> document like <TeX>blah blah blah ... </TeX> could be serialised to
> TeX by the TextSerializer, couldn't it?...

Or better, just write a serializer that is a wrapper around the TeX
processor, strips out the <Tex> elements and sends the "plain TeX" to
the processor. This sounds fairly easy to implement, and it would allow
the high output quality of TeX to be made available in Cocoon.

This mechanism could be generalized by a serializer that can call any
external process, pass to it a possibly filtered version of the
serializer's input, and send the output of the process to the Cocoon
client with a configurable mime-type, allowing Cocoon to cache this
output on the way to the client.

An ExternalProcessSerializer? Paves the way for all kinds of hacks ;-)

OTOH, the idea of a serializer taking an "XMLized" version of TeX as
input would be a much stronger integration of TeX in Cocoon, but
apparently such a format has to be invented, and converted back to TeX
by the serializer.

If anyone is ready to "vote with their code" I'd be happy to test the
results of either option ;-)

-Bertrand