Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sean Bigdatafun <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/07 04:31:15 UTC

difference between geospatial search from database angle and from solr angle

I understand Solr can do pretty powerful geospatial search
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-spatial/

<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-spatial/>But I also
understand lots of DB researchers have done lots of geospatial related work,
can someone give an overview of the difference from the different angel?

--Sean

Re: difference between geospatial search from database angle and from solr angle

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wait! How can you do distance calculations across different shards efficiently?

Basic spatial search (bounding box filter, radius filter, sort by
distance) has no cross-document component, so "it just works" with
distributed search.

-Yonik
http://www.lucenerevolution.org -- Lucene/Solr User Conference, May
25-26, San Francisco

Re: difference between geospatial search from database angle and from solr angle

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: difference between geospatial search from database angle and from solr angle

Posted by "Smiley, David W." <ds...@mitre.org>.

Author: http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Have you looked at solr sharding?