Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2007/07/19 04:16:04 UTC

Core IT archetypes

Hello,

I'm just starting to look at creating core-it archetypes with the new
archetypeng plugin. While I'm reviewing the various existing tests, I'm
curious what types of IT tests the group thinks are valuable, or which
tests might be good representations.

One question to answer is do we need a single module archetype and a
multimodule archetype? I don't have a strong opinion either way although
I am leaning towards one multi module archetype. It's usually easier to
slim down an archetype than scale one up. I also think that the
multimodule tests are more representative of what should be done. (ie
install something, then run another build for the test)

Besides single / multi-module tests, are there other categories that
should be considered? (ones that deal with repos, local settings,
other?)

--Brian

Re: Core IT archetypes

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Kay, I'll wait a bit more before I look into it more.  Thanks :-)

--jason

RE: Core IT archetypes

Re: Core IT archetypes

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

RE: Core IT archetypes

Posted by "Sundling, Paul" <pa...@sonyconnect.com>.
Could you use that to have archetypes for different servlet versions
2.3, 2.4 with appropriate web.xml and dependencies?

Paul Sundling

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Layering is an interesting concept I hadn't considered. The new plugin
does support layering so it seems possible. Hrm...

I think it'd be helpful to have single-module, multi-module, remote-
repository (on the filesystem), and settings aspects covered,
personally.

The only trick is that two or more of these will almost certainly
overlap, so it'd be nice to be able to apply one archetype over
another to sort of build up the test scenario...I don't know how easy
that would be, to setup those archetypes, however...

-john

On Jul 18, 2007, at 10:16 PM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm just starting to look at creating core-it archetypes with the new
> archetypeng plugin. While I'm reviewing the various existing tests,
> I'm
> curious what types of IT tests the group thinks are valuable, or which
> tests might be good representations.
>

> One question to answer is do we need a single module archetype and a
> multimodule archetype? I don't have a strong opinion either way
> although
> I am leaning towards one multi module archetype. It's usually
> easier to
> slim down an archetype than scale one up. I also think that the
> multimodule tests are more representative of what should be done. (ie
> install something, then run another build for the test)
>

> Besides single / multi-module tests, are there other categories that
> should be considered? (ones that deal with repos, local settings,
> other?)
>

> --Brian

---

Re: Core IT archetypes

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
I think it'd be helpful to have single-module, multi-module, remote-
repository (on the filesystem), and settings aspects covered,
personally.

The only trick is that two or more of these will almost certainly
overlap, so it'd be nice to be able to apply one archetype over
another to sort of build up the test scenario...I don't know how easy
that would be, to setup those archetypes, however...

-john

On Jul 18, 2007, at 10:16 PM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm just starting to look at creating core-it archetypes with the new
> archetypeng plugin. While I'm reviewing the various existing tests,
> I'm
> curious what types of IT tests the group thinks are valuable, or which
> tests might be good representations.
>

> One question to answer is do we need a single module archetype and a
> multimodule archetype? I don't have a strong opinion either way
> although
> I am leaning towards one multi module archetype. It's usually
> easier to
> slim down an archetype than scale one up. I also think that the
> multimodule tests are more representative of what should be done. (ie
> install something, then run another build for the test)
>

> Besides single / multi-module tests, are there other categories that
> should be considered? (ones that deal with repos, local settings,
> other?)
>

> --Brian

---