Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2016/12/01 01:51:39 UTC

Re: Unable to get SSL working on Tomcat 8.5

Re: Unable to get SSL working on Tomcat 8.5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 05/12/2016 18:33, Jim Weill wrote:

> On 12/5/2016 8:43 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> That should not be necessary. Tomcat should handle the conversion for
>>> you under the hood.
>>>
>>> I've tested this with a JKS store but not a pkcs12 store. Let me see if
>>> there is something extra we need to do in the pkcs12 case.
>> Confirmed. This is working as expected. The following works with 8.0.x
>> and 8.5.x. I've built both from trunk but there are no relevant changes
>> since the last release of each.
>>
>> <Connector port="8443"
>>             protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
>>             maxThreads="150"
>>             SSLEnabled="true"
>>             scheme="https"
>>             secure="true"
>>             clientAuth="false"
>>             sslProtocol="TLS"
>>             keystoreFile="conf/localhost-rsa.p12"
>>             keystoreType="PKCS12"
>>             keyPass="changeit" />
>>
>> Mark
>>

> So what might have changed with tomcat between 7.0 and 8.5 then?  I
> upgraded from 7.0 to 8.5 and had to do the separate SSLHostConfig
> section and change to the more updated connector syntax when a single
> connector string as shown above used to work.

The auto-switching to use the OpenSSL encryption could be a factor.
Although any error is likely to include OpenSSL support classes in the
stack trace.

Another possibility is alias handling although that also looks to be
OpenSSL related. I've found at one case where a keystore with a single
key/cert/chain fails. I'm currently working on a patch for that. It
should make it into a release in the new year.

Tracking down the root cause is likely to involve debugging both the TLS
handshake and the TLS connector initialisation. If you are able to that,
great. If not, if you can provide a sample configuration - including
dummy keys, certs and chains - that fails that others can use to debug
then that would very helpful.

Mark

Re: Unable to get SSL working on Tomcat 8.5

Posted by Jim Weill <mo...@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>.

On 12/5/2016 8:43 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 05/12/2016 16:13, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 01/12/2016 22:17, Jim Weill wrote:
>>> sslEnabledProtocols is now just protocols for one thing. And you have to
>>> put your certificate stuff in an <SSLHostConfig> sub-section to the
>>> connector now.
>> That should not be necessary. Tomcat should handle the conversion for
>> you under the hood.
>>
>> I've tested this with a JKS store but not a pkcs12 store. Let me see if
>> there is something extra we need to do in the pkcs12 case.
> Confirmed. This is working as expected. The following works with 8.0.x
> and 8.5.x. I've built both from trunk but there are no relevant changes
> since the last release of each.
>
> <Connector port="8443"
>             protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
>             maxThreads="150"
>             SSLEnabled="true"
>             scheme="https"
>             secure="true"
>             clientAuth="false"
>             sslProtocol="TLS"
>             keystoreFile="conf/localhost-rsa.p12"
>             keystoreType="PKCS12"
>             keyPass="changeit" />
>
> Mark

So what might have changed with tomcat between 7.0 and 8.5 then?  I
upgraded from 7.0 to 8.5 and had to do the separate SSLHostConfig
section and change to the more updated connector syntax when a single
connector string as shown above used to work.

jim

Re: Unable to get SSL working on Tomcat 8.5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 05/12/2016 16:13, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 01/12/2016 22:17, Jim Weill wrote:
>> sslEnabledProtocols is now just protocols for one thing. And you have to
>> put your certificate stuff in an <SSLHostConfig> sub-section to the
>> connector now.
>
> That should not be necessary. Tomcat should handle the conversion for
> you under the hood.
>
> I've tested this with a JKS store but not a pkcs12 store. Let me see if
> there is something extra we need to do in the pkcs12 case.

Confirmed. This is working as expected. The following works with 8.0.x
and 8.5.x. I've built both from trunk but there are no relevant changes
since the last release of each.

<Connector port="8443"
           protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
           maxThreads="150"
           SSLEnabled="true"
           scheme="https"
           secure="true"
           clientAuth="false"
           sslProtocol="TLS"
           keystoreFile="conf/localhost-rsa.p12"
           keystoreType="PKCS12"
           keyPass="changeit" />

Mark

RE: Unable to get SSL working on Tomcat 8.5

Posted by ra...@wipro.com.
It's working for me with the configuration attributes apart from your configuration :

sslImplementationName="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSEImplementation". keystoreFile="certificate path" in the <Connector> element.

I couldn't succeed with the element <SSLHostConfig>

-- Ram.

** This mail has been sent from an external source **

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Weill <mo...@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>.
sslEnabledProtocols is now just protocols for one thing. And you have to
put your certificate stuff in an <SSLHostConfig> sub-section to the
connector now.  Here's how ours had to be reconfigured (on 8443 instead

Posted by Jim Weill <mo...@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>.