Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2016/11/08 21:08:52 UTC

Can anyone explain Javadoc (java 8) behavior - sometimes failing on warning, othertimes continuing?

Hi,

As I try and build projects for UIMA V3, I have the behavior that if I don't get
the javadocs to pass the Java 8 checks (that produce WARNINGS), the javadoc
generation step "fails" and the build stops.

If I try the same thing on the trunk code, temporarily changing the
source/target levels to 8, and then purposely introducing a java doc mistake
(e.g. a @return with no description) into a project like "jvinci", and then
building with -Papache-release (which causes the javadocs to built), the
behavior is that the javadoc processing produces the same WARNINGs, but the
javadoc generation step does *not* fail, and the build continues.

I've run both of these builds side by side, captured the console outputs,
running in maven -X (debug) mode, and can't see what the difference is that's
causing one to stop the build, and the other one to continue.

Any ideas?

If I recall correctly, some time ago, when I started using Java 8 for builds, I
saw the Javadoc issues, and they would stop the build.  But after some change
(?) the build didn't stop...

-Marshall

Re: Can anyone explain Javadoc (java 8) behavior - sometimes failing on warning, othertimes continuing?

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

I have no answer to your question, but for the UIMA Ruta javadocs built
with Java 8 I had to fix some javadocs in the source code which were
causing build errors. The warnings did not stop the build process.

Best,

Peter