Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vincent Hikida <vh...@inreach.com> on 2004/11/11 21:02:13 UTC

Just installed 5.5, Can't access localhost:8080

I have been using Tomcat 3.3 and have been able to start it and access it
via localhost:80.

I just downloaded 5.5 and installed it on my Windows XP. I think I have
started the Tomcat 5.5 successfully. I can see Tomcat5w.exe running in the
Windows Task Manager. However, I get a page cannot be displayed message when
I go to localhost:8080. I changed server.xml to change tomcat's port to 80
since that port works for 3.3. However, that did not work either.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong.

I had a similar problem running after downloading opencyc a few weeks ago. I
was able to download and run opencyc. I was able to communicate to it
through the dos window but I couldn't access it via localhost.

Re: Just installed 5.5, Can't access localhost:8080

Posted by Vincent Hikida <vh...@inreach.com>.
Thanks. It worked. Actually I did unzip compat before but it just created
another tomcat directory under my tomcat directory. I just manually put the
files in my folder from winzip. Also, it only worked after I rebooted my
machine.

Vincent

> I have been using Tomcat 3.3 and have been able to start it and access it
> via localhost:80.
>
> I just downloaded 5.5 and installed it on my Windows XP. I think I have
> started the Tomcat 5.5 successfully. I can see Tomcat5w.exe running in the
> Windows Task Manager. However, I get a page cannot be displayed message
when
> I go to localhost:8080. I changed server.xml to change tomcat's port to 80
> since that port works for 3.3. However, that did not work either.

If your not using JRE 5.0, you need to unzip the "compat" package
inside the Tomcat installation directory. This is the likely cause of
the problem (you should get a catalina.out file in the logs folder
which will indicate the cause of the problem).

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.