Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Giannis Koutsoubos <ko...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/14 17:45:06 UTC

Re: Free wicket from component hierarchy hell

I've done some work based on Igor's implementation of component queuing.
It can be found here :
https://github.com/koutsoub/wicket/tree/component-queuing
https://github.com/koutsoub/wicket/tree/component-queuing
The code is written against the 1.4.x branch, i'm also working on making it
compatible with 1.5 trunk

Right now the following are supported:

queue method extracts hierarchy from markup files
using queue and add method together
nested queue methods (queue works like add)
queue method working on ListItem

You can have a look at ComponentQueuingTest.java with some tests with basic
usage
i'll raise an issue in jira with a patch during weekend

Feedback and suggestions are appreciated especially more testing scenarios

Re: Free wicket from component hierarchy hell

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Giannis Koutsoubos <ko...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 1.5 port  https://github.com/koutsoub/wicket/tree/component_queuing_1.5
> https://github.com/koutsoub/wicket/tree/component_queuing_1.5

Thanks, Giannis!

Re: Free wicket from component hierarchy hell

Posted by Giannis Koutsoubos <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.
I vote
+1 for also 1.4.x

because this feature does not compromise anything, it is just an
alternate way of adding components.

**
Martin

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
-1 for 1.4.x as well. No need to add this to current wicket. If it is
so important, wicket is open source, and you can readily port it
yourself.

Martijn

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Martin Makundi <
martin.makundi@koodaripalvelut.com> wrote:

> ..hrm.. putting that aside, did you give it a test drive?

No, I haven't.  Because keeping the two hierarchies in sync has never been a
problem on any project that I worked on.  Typically, the hierarchies are
very shallow anyway because of breaking things into panels and reusable
components.  So, with shallow hierarchies, it really doesn't bring much
benefit to the table.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://wickettraining.com

Re: Free wicket from component hierarchy hell

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.
> (assuming laziness wasn't it). :)

We are not lazy, we are just very busy ;)

**
Martin

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I'm actually looking at it now.  The markup changed between 1.4.5 and
1.4.6, so there must be some other reason that I stayed with 1.4.9
(assuming laziness wasn't it). :)

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.
>> http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/Free-wicket-from-component-hierarchy-hell-td3027705i160.html

>> getMarkupSettings().setAllowComponentAutoHierarchy(false);
>> > there will be no such method.
>>
>> +1 for not making this part of core.

I mean for yes making part of core ;) Duh.. it' s getting too late.

>> Giannis is in our team yes but Giannis forked this mostly with help from
>> Igor.
>>
>> Yes, we use 1.4 in production.
>>
> I meant: do you use 1.4 + the patch in production ?

We have various projects, some yes some no.

The largest production I am responsible for is stuck with
<wicket.version>1.4.9</wicket.version>  because some of the later
releases have not been monotonically improving. So we are stuck with
some patches etc. and we haven't had time to refactor to 1.4.x

I am having nightmares about future refactorings to 1.5 or 1.6 so I am
investing as much as I can on 1.4 ;)

>> Meanwhile we can test-drive it in 1.4.
>>
> Please do and report ;-)

Until now, only happy news :)

**
Martin

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Martin Makundi <

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.
Quote from Igor

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Martin Makundi <

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Jim Pinkham <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I still don't think it's necessary, and wonder if it might actually be
> counter-productive to have more than one way to learn for new adopters.  If
> it goes forward, I don't suppose there's much precedent for taking
> something
> back out, is there?

This is the key for me.  I make my living off of teaching Wicket classes.
 New people to Wicket always make mistakes with models and a few other
things.  But after the first morning of class, they almost *never* have a
problem with component hierarchies.

BUT - if we add two ways of building a hierarchy, and one of them is a
little "magical", then it gets difficult.

It's too bad we don't have mixins in Java - it would be nice to be able to
have this feature as an entirely separate jar that could be added.  I guess
you could do it now, but rather than calling #queue(compToBeQueued) on your
component, you'd have to use something like ComponentQueue#queue(component,
compToBeQueued).  That could store it in metadata like the current
implementation (if it hasn't changed since the last time I looked at the
code), and then an onbeforerender listener might be able to de-queue
everything.  I'd have no problem with it being an "add-on" that isn't in the
core Component.

> What a difficult discussion to have over email - I'm in the -1 camp on this
> overall, but I think I do appreciate the admirable motive to innovate, so I
> hope the committers will give this serious consideration and then chuck it
> in the bin where it ...  no, just kidding,  ;)  and then make a fair
> decision.

We never dismiss things off-hand, and will give it consideration.  But we
have to consider both new and advanced users.  I just don't think there's
enough of a use-case requirement for it to justify the confusion that I
*know* it will cause.

Posted by Jim Pinkham <pi...@gmail.com>.
I'm not a committer, just a normal 1.5 user concerned about bloat.

For what it's worth, I took a few minutes to actually look at the change
(MarkupContainer as you'd expect) and I can see that if you don't use the
new queue methods, the only a memory overhead is the *static* QUEUE (nothing
extra per component!) so I appreciate that performance-wise anyway, it's a
low impact feature you can ignore without penalty.

I'm not thrilled about the conceptual impact of adding a new concern to an
already large class, but the implementation looks quite nice actually, so my
first concern that it might break existing behavior is satisfied.

I still don't think it's necessary, and wonder if it might actually be
counter-productive to have more than one way to learn for new adopters.  If
it goes forward, I don't suppose there's much precedent for taking something
back out, is there?

What a difficult discussion to have over email - I'm in the -1 camp on this
overall, but I think I do appreciate the admirable motive to innovate, so I
hope the committers will give this serious consideration and then chuck it
in the bin where it ...  no, just kidding,  ;)  and then make a fair
decision.

Thanks,
--Jim Pinkham.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Martin Makundi <

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.