Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Gaet <ga...@free.fr> on 2005/11/17 15:32:36 UTC

Newbie problem with "Nested" tag library

Hi everybody,

I currently want to display a value with struts's tags instead with "pure"
java.
Here is the code I want to translate :

<%=
((Employe)employesVector.elementAt(i)).getEmploiservice().getEmploi().getLib
ellelong()   %>

I have tried to translate with nested library as it seems to be the solution
but with no result.

<nested:iterate id="employee" name="employesVector">
        <nested:nest property="emploiservice">
                <nested:nest property="emploi">
                        <nested:write property="libellelong"/>
                </nested:nest>
        </nested:nest>
</nested:iterate>

Does anybody know the solution? (or have a link on a good tutorial/samples)

Thanks very much for your help

Re: Newbie problem with "Nested" tag library

Posted by Gaet <ga...@free.fr>.
HI,

I found the solution and it was just missing the <nested:root> element.

Here is the complete stuff :

<nested:iterate id="employe" name="employesVector">
    <nested:root name="employe">
        <nested:nest property="emploiservice">
            <nested:nest property="emploi">
                <nested:write property="libellelong"/>
            </nested:nest>
        </nested:nest>
    </nested:root>
</nested:iterate>

Re: Newbie problem with "Nested" tag library

Posted by Gaet <ga...@free.fr>.
With the code :

<nested:iterate id="employee" name="employesVector">
        <nested:nest property="emploiservice">
               <nested:write property="idemploiservice/>
        </nested:nest>
</nested:iterate>

I got the following error in my browser:

" Error 500: No getter method for property null[0].emploiservice.idemploiservice of bean employesVector "

why it retrieves "null[0]"???

TIA

  Thanks Alex but i'd like to use only tags and if possible "Nested" tags....

  Why, this works

  <nested:iterate id="employee" name="employesVector">
          <nested:write name="employee" property="nom"/>
  </nested:iterate>

  And, this not :

  <nested:iterate id="employee" name="employesVector">
          <nested:nest property="emploiservice">
                 <nested:write property="idemploiservice/>
          </nested:nest>
  </nested:iterate>

  I know that I have no attribute "name" in second case, but normally I don't know which I have to put...

  Thanks for help!

Posted by ALEX HYDE <al...@btinternet.com>.
I don't think you're referencing your beans properly.
I've never seen that syntax before :O) but I'm pretty
new to this.

This version does just use tags:

<ns:iterate id="employee" name="employesVector">
 <ns:out
value=${employee.emploiservice.emploi.libellelong}"/>
</ns:iterate>

It uses as an 'iterator' tag to loop, and an 'out' tag
to output your value. You nest the out tag inside of
the iterate tag and it will output what you specify in
value. In this case it will output the longname of
each employee. This looks like what you want to do?

Gluck.

Posted by ALEX HYDE <al...@btinternet.com>.