Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/04 18:13:29 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-257 - Configurable Quota Management

For compatibility reasons, we are now using Java rather than Scala for all
pluggable interfaces including those on the broker. There is already a KIP
to move Authorizer to Java as well. As we will be removing support for Java
7 in the next release, we can also use default methods in Java when we need
to update pluggable Java interfaces. So the plan is to use Java for all new
pluggable interfaces.

We already have the package org.apache.kafka.server, under which we have
the sub-package for policies, so it makes sense to define quota callback as
a Java interface here too.

If there are any concerns, please let me know. Otherwise I will update the
KIP and the associated PR.

Thank you,

Rajini

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ismael,

Sorry, I had missed your note earlier. Jun had suggested changing the quota
callback methods so that there is only one method to obtain quota limits.
We used to have two methods, one which returned (*quotaLimit+metricTags)* and
another which returned *quotaLimit* given the *metricTags.* Now the first
method returns just the *metricTags* and we use the second to obtain
*quotaLimit.*

We have three scenarios:

   1. Determine the quota for a request based on principal
   2. Quota updated in ZK, we need to update quota limits on existing
   metrics
   3. Quota updated externally (e.g. quotas are stored in a database or
   custom dynamic configs are used)

For the default quota configuration using ZooKeeper, the two new methods
work well. For 1) the first time we see a client, we get *metricTags* and
use *quotaLimit* to get the limit for those tags and for subsequent
requests, we just need *metricTags*. For 2) we get *quotaLimit* based on
*metricTags* to update existing metrics. In many cases, this could just be
a single metric update.

For 3), however, I had to add another method to check if quotas need
updating. The boolean method `quotaResetRequired()` is invoked when we are
determining quotas for a connection, and it basically does whatever is done
in 2) for externally managed quotas.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Rajini,

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.