Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by youngm <yo...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/09 00:37:06 UTC

jul.ConsoleHandler doesn't work with SystemLogHandler redirectStreams

I'm using Tomcat with juli.  I'm using java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler to
handle logging output.

My logging.properties looks like the following:

handlers = java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

.handlers = java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINE
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter =
java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

jul.ConsoleHandler by definition sends everything to System.err and it grabs
a reference to System.err at instantiation time.  ConsoleHanlder gets
instantiated before Embedded.initStreams() is called.  Hence my
jul.ConsoleHandler doesn't use SystemLogHandler.

One way to fix this would be for Tomcat to provide a SystemLogHandler
friendly ConsoleHandler implementation as part of tomcat-juli.  Does anyone
else think this issue is worthy of a feature request?  I'd be more than
happy to provide a patch.

Mike