Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ben Austin <be...@hotmail.com> on 2002/09/04 23:15:50 UTC

Is Tomcat just an add-on?

Is Tomcat a web server or is it just an add-on for web servers that are not
servlet-enabled?

Re: Is Tomcat just an add-on?

Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Ben Austin wrote:

> Is Tomcat a web server or is it just an add-on for web servers that
> are not servlet-enabled?

Its a web server. You can use Tomcat as your web server. Based on your
needs, you can also decide to use Tomcat + Another Web Server (ex; Apache)

-- Jeanfrancois

Re: SSL

Posted by Øyvind Vestavik <Oy...@idi.ntnu.no>.
That's right.
I use a stand-alone version and am using SSL to encrypt
requests and responses using a self-signed certificate created using the
keytool from Sun for development of my servlets. This should be fairly
well documented in the documentation.

Øyvind Vestavik
Norwegian University of Technology and Science.

SSL

RE: Is Tomcat just an add-on?

Posted by Andy Eastham <an...@gliant.com>.
Ben,

It's both, depending on how you configure it.  It's pretty efficient
standalone, or you can integrate with a web server to serve static content
if you've got high traffic levels.

Andy