Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Carmen Molatch <cm...@comcast.net> on 2022/01/11 20:41:17 UTC

How to address log4j vulnerability in Storm 1.2.2

Hello

We have Storm 1.2.2.  Do I need to upgrade to a later version or can I replace the log4j* files (2.8.2) with the latest 2.17.1 files?  Is that advisable or should it be avoided?

Thank you

Carmen

Re: How to address log4j vulnerability in Storm 1.2.2

Posted by Rui Abreu <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carmen,

I haven't tested that solution myself yet, but in theory it could work. You
can try that in a dev machine. Try to replace the log4j JARs shipped with
your version of storm with the latest one and try to spot any runtime
errors.

Posted by Carmen Molatch <cm...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rui Abreu <ru...@gmail.com>.
You can follow the instructions
<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/security.html> from the Apache Log4j
project and just remove the JndiLookup class from the classpath:

   -  zip -q -d log4j-core-*.jar
   org/apache/logging/log4j/core/lookup/JndiLookup.class