Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Raible, Matt" <Ma...@cable.comcast.com> on 2003/08/06 17:04:50 UTC

Running Tomcat standalone on Linux

We are running Tomcat as a standalone server on Linux.  We aren't using
Apache for a front-end b/c we feel we don't need it.  One nice thing that
Apache did offer was that it would start as root, bind to port 80 and then
drop privileges.  Is this possible with Tomcat as well?

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Running Tomcat standalone on Linux

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Hi -

Check out the Jakarta Sandbox Daemon

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/daemon/index.html

Also, Holger Klawitter has a page dedicated to the problem, his solution
uses iptables to forward ports:

http://www.klawitter.de/tomcat80.html

John

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.