Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matteo Vadagnini <mv...@h-care.it> on 2008/06/11 19:07:34 UTC

[users@httpd] apache_to_apache Proxy error

Hi dears.
I am facing a random but very boring proxy error. The environment is the
following:

In the front-end (actually a customer CED):
               ProxyPass /webapp
               ProxyPass /static
Ap2.0.59<----------------------------->|FW|<---Internet

In the back-end (actually our CED):
                                              ProxyPass /webapp
Internet--->|FW|<--->Ap2.2.8<---------------------------->tomcat 5.5

where Ap is an apache server and FW is a firewall, static is a folder with
static html content and webapp is a servlet running on the final tomcat
instance.

Randomly, when I connect to the front-end apache (2.0.59) and hask for /static
or /webapp, I get a proxy error:

502:  proxy: error reading status line from remote server **.**.**.**,
referer:......

This happens both during normal operation and after long idle periods, and
both for static content and for the tomcat webapp. So I think it is a problem
of the two apaches
Now I am suggesting to the front-end system administrator (the 2.0 Apache) to
disable the keepalive with the following setenv directive, something like:

<Location /static>
	ProxyPass .....
	ProxyPassReverse ....
	SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1
	SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1
</Location>

<Location /webapp>
	ProxyPass .....
	ProxyPassReverse ....
	SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1
	SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1
</Location>

but I have a doubt about tomcat. Should I disable keepalive and HTTP 1.1 on
the tomcat too?
As far as I can understand if I put that setenv directives, everything running
from the client to the tomcat is HTTP 1.0 with no keepalive... I am right?

Is there a way to disable keepalive ONLY between the two apache?

Thank you very much

--
Matteo Vadagnini
h-care s.r.l.