Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by Seth Ladd <sh...@osfmail.isc.rit.edu> on 2000/01/03 03:10:17 UTC

Exception: DeferredTextImpl

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before on the mailing list.  I
tried to look through the archives, but I didn't see this.

I am trying to use the latest Xerces-J parser, but I get an exception
when I try to access the first child from the root.

I get a java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredTextImpl exception thrown when I try to
execute the line:

child = (Element)trueroot.getFirstChild();

I'm not sure what to do, since I'm not sure what the exception message
is telling me.  I am using the IBM JDK 1.1.8 JDK on Linux 2.2.13.  The
Xerces-J parser is the latest from CVS.

Here is a code snipet:

DOMParser parser = new DOMParser();
parser.parse(filename);
Document doc = parser.getDocument();
Element trueroot = (Element)doc.getDocumentElement();
Element child = (Element)trueroot.getFirstChild();

Any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Seth

Re: Exception: DeferredTextImpl

Posted by Seth Ladd <sh...@osfmail.isc.rit.edu>.
> The first child of the result of  getDocumentElement is not guaranteed
> to be an Element.    The ClassCastException is telling you that you are
> trying to cast a Text Node into an ElementNode -- which doesn't work.

Thanks so much!  I think I looked everywhere else for the solution to this
but right here. :(  There was whitespace as the firstChild(), which is
where I was getting confused.

Thanks,

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Seth,

The first child of the result of  getDocumentElement is not guaranteed
to be an Element.    The ClassCastException is telling you that you are
trying to cast a Text Node into an ElementNode -- which doesn't work.

Ted